garbage collectors

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Countrybumpkin, May 21, 2005.

1. Countrybumpkin

Countrybumpkin Well-Known Member

Anyone here own/operate a garbage route? I've been thinking of starting one,in the evenings after work, to see if I could make a go of it...I want the good, the bad, and the ugly of it! The going rate around here (NW OH) seems to be $13-12

2. Countrybumpkin

Countrybumpkin Well-Known Member

sorry-hit the wrong button-and dump fees are $27/ton, so I'll need at least 10 customers to break even, w/ fuel expenses. Just throwqing this out there, wondering what people think! Thanks!

3. TrailDog

TrailDog Member

I know a guy here in my county who's been in the garbage collection business for about 15 years, and he seems to do pretty well. An interesting side note is that he's also a part-time farmer with a homesteader's point of view, so he salvages a lot of the stuff he picks up. He was recently showing me a piece of equipment he had bought for pressing discarded tires into fence.

4. blazingguns

blazingguns Well-Known Member

We have a guy here that just started out when we moved here three years ago, the only other garbage collection was a big company that would not go down any dirt roads to collect, so we hired this guy that goes to all the houses that are not mainly on the highway, he is doing super good at it now, enough he just bought a brand new pickup, he hauls with his pickup and a big box trailer with wood sides. He charges $16 a month, and well worth it, he takes anything!!!!!