Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are good sources to go for game recipes? So far, I've been using http://honest-food.net.

I don't hunt (mostly blind, no responsible way to use a firearm). My high school students have been bringing me game that they've shot, and I am so happy. Last night we had venison cassoulet--added some chopped up bacon to ground venison, made meat balls, added them to a pot of beans. Amazing.

A student brought me a bag of frozen duck meat--all skinned and boned. He says it's five or six ducks, but it's only about a pound and a half. I guess there's not much meat on a wild duck. I'm not quite sure what to do with it. I'm worried about turning it into rubber, so I might grind it into sausage. Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Transplanted Tarheel
677 Posts
We use venison in the same dishes that we would use beef in with the exception of the burger. I'm just not fond of it. My husband gets a couple of turkeys a year and usually I make fried turkey strips, pot pies, or turkey a la king with it.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Like nobrabbit I use game meat as anyone would use beef. Some cuts need longer cooking, some ground, some flashed thru the fry pan etc. Season 'til you like it. Game meat is all I eat, for hamburger 1/2 moose with the venison mellows the flavor perfect.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I've only had duck one time. It was give to us. I don't duck hunt so I didn't know what to do with it but my wife used it in chili. It turned out pretty good. I thought it tasted a little like liver though. I'm not sure if it's supposed to but that was my only experience with duck.

·
Bitter Clinger
4,787 Posts
My first thought was http://honest-food.net but then you actually linked to it, so that won't be much help, lol!

This is my opinion on non-fowl game meat....low and slow or bacon. There just isn't enough fat on the animals so you have to compensate with either the cooking method (braised, stewed, etc) or with adding extra fat (you can sub butter for bacon, but you get the idea)

Here's another tip if you are adventurous and have the patience to look through some websites: Recently, we had some rabbit. I googled the best gourmet restaurants in the country and looked at their menus. The trend nowadays is local, sustainable, etc, and the fancy schmancy chefs have a thing for game. It's a trend. You don't get recipes, but you do get ideas for cooking the meat.

For example, some restaurant had a "paneed rabbit in grenobloise with spaztle and wilted greens". I googled some of the fancu words, and found out it was basically a lightly breaded, pan fried rabbit with a parsley & caper butter sauce. I served it with spatzle and wilted dandelion greens (with bacon, lol). DH loved it.

So did my kitten who stole a rabbit leg off the platter when we weren't looking, starting a house-wide chase. Imagine... rabbit leg and kitten, then dh, then me, and then our other cat running from the kitchen, through the dining room, living room, upstairs guest bedroom, downstairs, finally cornering him under the bed in the master bedroom -- only after he left a trail of rabbit juice throughout the house.

The leg couldn't be saved, so the cats got 'rabbit treats' for the rest of the week.

Wow, did I get off topic....

Reactions: MOSSYNUT
1 - 6 of 6 Posts