Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
truly asking this for a friend, who feeds her service dog raw, and lives in Santa Maria, CA.

poor pup somehow developed pancreatitis this week. they need to not feed beef and pork at this moment. they can continue to feed chicken/turkey and rabbit, which is what the pup is getting right now. game meats would also be ok, like venison.

they are actively putting up wanted posts on craigslist and freecycle, in case someone's got extra or cleaning out their freezer. I helped by pulling up some vendors through Google, but holy Tao, the stuff is big bucks!

if anyone can point us in the right direction with a reputable vendor that isn't stupid expensive, we'd love it!

this pup can't have any of the premade raw from pet stores, either. allergies up the kazoo.
if it matters, pup is an almost 3 year old purebred lab from an excellent breeder.

(please no debates about raw feeding, either, this person has been doing it for over a decade and is very familiar with nutritional requirements, etc)

we appreciate any and all leads!! :D

Peace,
Kyrie, Tao Blue SD AKC CGC CGCA CGCU TKN PAT, Deja Blue SD AKC CGC CGCU TKN PAT

·
Premium Member
18,168 Posts
When we went meatless, we gave a ton of venison to a local dog sled musher. So, my advice would be to look for someone who is switching over to WFPB or vegan.

Also, many times grocery stores will sell large (10#-plus) frozen bags of thighs and/or legs for cheap.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Cabin Fever right, with the bulk legs and thighs, and she gets super cheap whole chickens too. I'll have her add the vegan/WFPB piece to her craigslist/freecycle posts, great thinking!

(ps, I tried the sliced portobellos as you suggested, and YAAASSSS...new sammich!! nom nom!!)

·
Registered
12,144 Posts
Yup - go to a butcher that processes game.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Wolf mom , I've sent that along to her, and she will be checking Santa Maria to Santa Barbara for one! thank you :)

@Bearfootfarm actually, she got a rabbit this fall (summer?) for doing exactly that. first litter--mom apparently ate them. :O so she is working that whole end of the issue as well. also good to know about the legalities. I'm sure she would be happy to have the farm raised deer on top of the chicken and rabbits she already buys for pup!

@[email protected] I have no idea about the availability of roadkill in Santa Maria, but I think that's a great idea, and will put her onto that as well!

you all have been a huge help, and please keep the solutions coming--we appreciate it! :D

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Talk to the local constablery or sheriff about getting roadkill deer. Thing is, they will probably default to calling a family for the venison to eat rather than for feeding a dog.

Keep in mind that venison needs severe trimming, too. Most of the deer we have ever shot are literally packed with fat, though it is usually on the outside of the muscle - not marbled into the meat. The only time I ever had a dog get pancreatitis was when the little snot got into a washtub full of deer trimmings. That was one sick hound for a few days.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@brosil she says none of her local stores carry anything other than the standard chicken, pork, beef. I know she would be thrilled to find anything else, including ostrich!

@anniew she's in a wheelchair with Ehlers Danos. she has plenty of artillery, but a body that can't use it now. thanks though! :)

@Alder will do so, and she spends lots of time trimming the heck out of any meat she uses for her pup. neither she nor the vet can figure out how she got the pancreatits, and yep, her pup has been violently ill with it. yuck :(

thanks, y'all, keep it coming!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts