Gallon Glass containers?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by FlipFlopFarmer, Apr 28, 2004.

1. FlipFlopFarmer

FlipFlopFarmer Well-Known Member

For those of you with milk cows......Where do you buy your glass containers?

I'd prefer gallon or 1/2 gallon containers. The 1/2 g canning jars aren't in stock anywhere and you pay more for shipping than the jars themselves!

Thanks!
    :) Carla

2. jucal

jucal Well-Known Member

Hi Carla,
    I finally bought some of my glass gallon jars at Sepcialty Bottle Supply www.specialtybottle.com. The shipping is as much or more than the jars themselves. I just sell the jars to my customers at cost and then we swap them when they come to get more milk. With shipping mine came to about $6.00 per jar, not a bad price. Hope this helps.
    Judy

3. FlipFlopFarmer

Thanks Judy!

I see on your profile that you have mini jerseys. Do you keep them for dairy or to breed?

I'm getting my jersey on May 7th (if all works out well...crossing fingers and toes) She'll be bred when I get her but I was thinking for next time around, we'd see about breeding her to a mini in the hopes of a heifer to replace her with.

Thanks for the info on the bottles. Let me know about your minis.

Carla

4. wyomama

wyomama Member

Carla,

If you have an ACE Hardware store near you, they have them in their warehouse. They can special order them for you, they will come in on their next truck of freight and there is no shipping.

wyomama

5. FlipFlopFarmer

Are you talking about the gallon size glass jars or the 1/2 canning jars?

6. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Also check with restaurants as some of their food items come in one-gallon glass jars. Olives for example.

Ken S. in WC TN

7. Meadowwood

Meadowwood Active Member

Hi!

I see you are in OR. In Kent WA, there is a store (warehouse actually) that has all thing bottle. They carry a 1/2 gallon, widemouth, glass jar and lids. It is called Richards Packaging Inc. and I think they have a web site. A case of 6 1/2 gallon jars costs $6.35 and the lids are $.28 each. They also have gallon jars which take the same lids. I guess if you come up this way, you could get some.

Darlene

8. FlipFlopFarmer

I've checked with some restaurants and they all have said that most of those things come in plastic anymore. I'll use plastic in a pinch but would prefer glass. I'll keep asking!

I'll have to check out that place in WA. Thanks for the info.

9. jucal

jucal Well-Known Member

Carla,
    To answer the question you asked me about my mini Jerseys. I do sell the milk and hope to sell the calves when I have some to sell. My goal is to raise the heifers to first freshing and sell as milkers. I want them to be nice and gentle that anyone can milk them by hand or machine.
    Judy

10. wyomama

wyomama Member

oops, sorry :eek:

The 1/2 gallon canning jars.