Gainesville MO area info needed

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kenneth in NC, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

My SIL is relocating to the Gainsville, MO area in Ozark County. She has found a house that they can afford. My question is what is she moving into?

My research says that about 610 people live in Gainsville and income is under $25,000 on average. But I can't seem to find much more about the place. So your help is needed.

Tell me about Gainesville and surrounding area. Thanks.

Kenneth

2. Kenneth in NC

Thanks HarleysMom,
    That's where I went first. It doesn't tell me very much. I was hoping someone on here lived there or near there and could tell me what she could expect. There are some things only residents over time learn that can mean a lot.

Kenneth

3. GrannieD

GrannieD Well-Known Member

I have lived NE of the area for over 20 years & so much depends on what you bring with you when you come to this part of the Ozarks...There are a fair share of skalywags as well as the nicest folks you'll want to meet.. Jobs aren't high paying where ever you find them in the area..& some of that contributes to the skalywags way of making a living..(theivin' & druggin') Come on ahead..everybody else is..! You generally can do your own thing & be part of a good community...GrannieD

4. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Simpleman can help you out real well.There is not much in the way of work,mainly minimum wage,durring the Summer.But thats ok because there is no place close to spend any money.If she isn't of color she should be ok.

big rockpile

5. Star In N.C.

Star In N.C. Well-Known Member

Rockpile being kin to Kenneth in NC I expect she is white or maybe a bit red (as in redneck) I hear that runs in his family. :haha:

I've met Kenneth and his folks they are mostly Scotch/Irish with a twisted sense of humor. :D

Where is Simpleman haven't seen many post by him lately.

Star

6. KAK

KAK Well-Known Member

We have bought a house and 4 acres just outside of Gainesville and will be moving there from the mountains of Colorado in June. We can afford to semi-retire there, my husband is a software developer and can work remote. We have spent over 2 years looking at houses and the area and know four families who have moved to the area in the last few years. They all love it. Like everything else, time will only tell, but we are really excited. :)

7. Slev

Slev Well-Known Member Supporter

What I know Missouri is known for, Meth labs and puppy mills and now 34 year old Governors...! I think they have just about every base covered! Ha- Actually I like Missouri very much. They are so far ahead of Illinois in so many ways, and they have some very good first time farming programs offered by the State. Although they may not offer much in way of money, it sure is peaceful....

8. big rockpile

Most I've done down that way is hunting.Been trying to get my wife to go down there with me,she just can't find the time.

There really isn't that much down there.I checked land prices down there thought they was high for what is there.

Simpleman basically got run out down there.

big rockpile

9. big rockpile

10. big rockpile

11. Kenneth in NC

Hmmm RockPile She's white. :)

Star shame on you :eek: even if it might be true :eek:

Maybe my DW and I should move with her and that'd be 2 new families.

I remember some of Simpleman's post about some kind of feud with locales but can't remember any specifics.

Is that county the meth county? I hope she's not moving into a worse area than she's leaving. :no:

Kenneth in NC

12. big rockpile

13. twohawlks

twohawlks Member

Ozark County?
    First off it is hard to get to, the closest interstate is 2 hours away(you have to drive by Big Rock Pile to get here) .
    If you come here without a job or money it is going to be hard to get by. Most jobs in West Plains (40 miles) or Mt. Home,AR.
    (30 miles). Good wages here about $10.00 @hour.
    The Ozark County Times and The Baxter Bulletin both have webb sites so you can read about the area on line.
    The main crop arround here is rocks, you can take all you need out of a field and next year they come right back up. Cattle are the mainstay of most farmers in the area.
    Gaines ville is between two lakes Bullshores and Norfork
    both have good fishing, a record bass was taken from Bullshores and Norfork is noted for big Stippers.
    Branson is about an hour away .
    MSU has a campus in West Plains.
    ASU just built a new school in Mt. Home.
    Baxter Medical Hospital is in Mt. Home and OMC is in West
    Plains and the area is serviced by Medavac air ambulance.
    If you have any other questions you can PM me.

14. Kenneth in NC

She and her DH have both stated that they "believe" they can work in Branson.

Here's alist of Covenants she emailed me.

PROTECTIVE COVENANTS

1. Exterior walls and roofs of all buildings must be constructed of
    conventional, permanent materials.

2. No trailers unless set back over 200 feet from road &
    Underpinned and skirted.

3. No machinery, old cars or junk or junk cars will be permitted
    to clutter up the area.

4. Buildings (homes) set back at least 15 feet from road frontage.

5. All tracts must be kept free of brush, weeds and grass in which mosquitoes or vermin could propagate. All lots shall be kept free and clear of all rubbish, junk cars, garbage and unsightly materials of whatsoever type.

6. No cutting of trees unless one-half (1/2) of tract is paid for.

7. State approved septic tanks unless out-door toilets are used.

8. If out-door toilets used, kitchen, clothes washer and bath waters to be properly piped into a dry well set-up with leach line.

9. Trees may be cut that are deformed or cull for firewood.

Is this normal for the area?

Kenneth