Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I freely confess that in my entire life, I have NEVER made cornbread from scratch. It's just, I was raised on the stuff in the little blue box. And, I always liked it, so I never saw much point in changing.

But, it seems as if every time I go to buy some, the price has increased. Truthfully, even though I like it, it is still only worth about 25 cents a box to me. Maybe 33 cents, considering inflation. But that is my absolute upper limit!
Lately I have not been seeing it for less than 50 cents a box.

So, I finally dragged out the grain mill which I have had for 6 or 8 years but never used, and I ground up some of the whole corn which we bought in a 50 pound bag last winter. Made a batch of homemade, completely from scratch, corn bread for supper. It was pretty darn good if I do say so myself. Made it in one of our cast iron skillets which gives it a nice bottom.

We are FINALLY FREE of the little blue boxes!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
Yay, cornbread liberation!

We eat a lot of cornbread at my house. I always thought that Jiffy Mix was kind of nasty too, besides being expensive.

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
WOO HOO! I love my grain mill. Good for you!

Cindyc.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
I can almost smell that cornbread right now.Elizabeth,will your grain meal grind pretty fine meal and what brand is it. While you are looking for the brand, would you please pass the cornbread? Don't worry about the butter because I have some of that to smear on it.:D Eddie

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I have an old cookbook my mother had called "The Country Kitchen Cookbook". It is quite old and was published back in the 30s. The recipes in there are usually quite good.

I usually just make my cornbread from memory but I hadn't made any for ages so I while browsing through that cookbook I seen a recipe for cornbread and thought it sounded good for supper. As I was making it I didn't think it looked quite right and it wasn't the recipe I normally make. When it was mixed it looked awfully thin but I had followed the instructions exactly. I went ahead and cooked it as directed but it turned out absolutely ghastly. Heavy, soggy, mushy and it tasted awful. They either had a different idea of cornbread back in the 30s or there was a misprint in the cookbook. First time in my life I ever flubbed cornbread.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
My roots are South Dakota farm- and not the borrow a lot from the bank sort either- they got indoor plumbing in 1978. I was terribly shocked when we moved to Pgh and I heard of people using NEW material to make 'patchwork' quilts. I never used a box except Jello- Betty Crocker circa a few years before I was born explains how to do everything- until I finally admitted I will not buy cake flour and the box cakes taste a lot better than mine made with shortening and regular flour.

So I've never had corn bread from a box nor ever used self rising flour- an oddity I discovered in the South and in England. (And in Germany they add vanilla to recipes from a small packet- like Koolaid- with vanilla flavored sugar in it!) (My grandma on the farm also used vanilla sugar- by putting a vanilla bean in her sugar tin!) Now can someone explain masa harina mix to me?

·
just me
1,770 Posts
My from scratch corn bread my dogs turn up their noses at and my one dog eats anything. I just have to suffer with the blue boxes for now.

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
Good for you. You must be very pleased with yourself. I was when I started making cornbread and other foods from scratch. Such a feeling of accomplishment.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Elizabeth,will your grain meal grind pretty fine meal and what brand is it
Eddie- it is adjustable and seems to grind pretty fine the way we had it set for the corn meal.

I can't find a brand name on it. It is similar to the Magic Mill but the enclosure is different- on ours the motor is enclosed. It is really heavy duty, I can tell you that, lol!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts