gagging, frothing doe

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Debi, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Debi

Debi Active Member

For the past 4 days, one of my does starts gagging and frothing when she eats. She's done it before a time or two but nothing happened. Now, it's every day. She's always been a pig and makes snorting noises while eating and I thought maybe she was eating too fast and got choked. After she slings her head and gags a few minutes, she goes back to eating.

Otherwise, behaving normally, no temp, pregnant and due March 11th, no baggin up yet.

Is there something I need to do or is she just stupid?

Debi
    kaufman TX

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

check to see if she has something stuck in her throat.

3. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Offer her baking soda , reduce her grain. Any fever ? Did she get into anything?

4. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I had one do this because she would eat too fast so I put 6-8 _1-2 inch rocks in the dish to slow her down.

5. geminigoats

geminigoats Well-Known Member

Sounds like maybe an off rumen to me if she doesn't have something in her throat and does it a lot. I definately am going to try the rock trick, I have a doe now, one of my Obers who does this when she eats, she chows down and then froths and slings. YUKKY! Since we have lots of rocks here it won't be a problem finding them. The doe though that I have that did this had a sensitive rumen I guess??? I made sure she ate baking soda and she hasn't done it since. I made sure when she was on the milk stand I added baking soda to her feed and she ate it. She didn't like it at first and thats how I knew she wasn't eating her free choice baking soda. I just wondered about something, and after all these yrs of raising goats didn't until now...can they get morning sickness?

Bernice

6. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

that rock trick works on dogs too. she may have gotten into the habit of gulping her food if she has to compete for it, like if she doesn't eat it up real fast, she's afraid some other goat will come by and eat it.. had this same problem with a horse once. feeding him off by himself solved the problem. worth a try, anyway.

7. Debi

Debi Active Member

She's always been the scapegoat of the bunch. Poor thing is a bit neurotic. I think it is the "eat before someone knocks me over" thing. Today, she gulped in midair before the feed hit the pan and went into her slobbering, slinging mode. I've seen her with baking soda on her mouth - maybe I'll drench her tomorrow before I feed her and see if that helps.

Thanks a bunch.

Debi
    Kaufman TX