Gack Fleas

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by pcdreams, Aug 4, 2004.

1. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

What are you guys using to get rid of the fleas on your dogs/cats? We've been using that stuff you put down their back (can't think of the name) but it doesn't seem to be doing a darn thing.

Gave the a flea dip a couple days before applying it but nothing. Poor things are chewing themselves apart.

These are the same things we do every year but I guess the fleas must be gaining a tolerance..

2. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

I've been told that both Brewer's Yeast (get it at a Health Nut store) and Garlic added to a pet's diet do good to prevent fleas. I'm not sure how well they would work to eliminate an infestation. Have you changed their bedding? If the flea dip didn't work, they might be getting re-infested from another source. When I first bought my house, the former owner had a dog with fleas. The carpet in the house was infested and I had to fog the carpeted rooms twice to get rid of them.

3. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

Brewers Yeast and garlic didn't do ANYTHING for me.

Frontline Plus or Advantage, PLUS bombing the house to get rid of existing fleas, plus dusting the yard w/ something is pretty much the only way I've ever found to take care fo an existing problem. It's much easier to prevent it in the first place.

Cait

4. januaries

januaries Well-Known Member

For my dog: bathe it in a flea shampoo then apply Frontline Plus or Advantage. NOT the Wal-Mart substitutes; they don't do a thing.

5. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I've heard that feeding garlic works. It makes the skin taste bad. Garlic also boosts the immune system, so that might work.

This is my dog's third summer and he's never had fleas. He gets fed BARF, which may be the reason. I don't give him garlic, vinegar, or use a pesticide.

6. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

I have been using DEFEND that I get from JeffersPet.com for years with success. Put it on their back just like a lot of other similar products out there. HOWEVER, this year, even my dogs have had fleas bad. I have talked with other neighbors and friends and they say the same thing----that the fleas are horrible this year. I even had someone that went to the doctor, they had so many bites and the doctor told them that it was really a mite that looks like a flea causing the bite. (Ummmm......... :confused: ) I am still putting the Defend on them and brushing them really good every night and washing their bedding every week. I also take the Skintastic (a mild form of OFF) and spray down a rag and rub them down with it. We vacumn the house every day too. The big thing with fleas seems to be to break the cycle of eggs, hatch, lay more eggs, more hatch etc. If the fleas you have don't lay eggs, then you don't have more hatching as these are dying off----and eventually you don't have anymore. I'm not sure what the life cycle is------4-6 weeks maybe???.

7. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

I assume that is an acronym for something :)

otherwise thats GROSS ;)

8. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

Flea dips and baths never dented the flea pop. much. Brewer's yeast worked great on a succession of four dogs. It's the B-1 vitamin in the stuff I understand. Bigger dogs need bigger doses--the big guys got several pills or a about a tablespoon or so of the powder. Present doggie is a picky eater and won't touch the stuff, so use the stuff from the vet. She still stratches and digs, but so do we--chiggers and other itchy stuff from grass and weeds. At least no fleas.

9. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

BARF stands for Bones And Raw Food. Basicly it involves putting bones, raw meat, and supliments into a meat grinder to make your own pet food. Here is some basic info: http://www.willowglen.com/barf.htm .

10. sapphira

sapphira Well-Known Member

There are two main flea drops out. One is an outside skin spread oil and the other is one that soaks into the body - more an internal anti-flea. One worked on my cats last year beautifully, then the newest one out (Frontline) I paid a fortune for this year and it did NOT work ! The one that works on my cats is Advantage from last year. The new Frontline was a waste of money.
    So whichever one you bought and used is no good and use the other.
    Just find out what you just used. It could be reverse for you than me.
    Flinging Sevin dust over your yard and around the house then watering it in really helps tremendously. Sevin does not hurt animals or cause urinary infection in cats and dogs. if you use it right. VACUUM your house floors, sofas, lower curtains, then keep up with vacuuming regularly more often than 9 days and you will not have fleas. Sapphira

11. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

It is gross and I think makes it a little more difficult to attract new followers.

Bones And Raw Food, or
    Biologically Appropriate Raw Food

Some people concoct a carefully weighed and ground concoction of bones, meat, vegetables, brewers yeast, various supplements and I don't know what else. I just feed him twice a day, usually raw chicken backs or necks (whatever the butcher has in leftovers @ 59 c a pound) and once or twice a week organ meat. He also gets leftover vegetables. I put his heartworm medicine (black walnut hull tincture) and anything else, like garlic in his oatmeal. When he was a puppy I added vitamin C to his food once or twice a week.

If you are interested in the newest/wholistic information in the dog world, subscribe to The Whole Dog Journal. They also rate dog food, toys, supplements, flea medications and so forth.

12. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

ok a montha go we had fleas in the house from the cats. One in particular i thought was allergic to them. we bathed and sprayed and put everything on her I cold find with no luck. So I put her outside, it was a chioce between that and us getting eaten alive by the little varmits. So we've gotten rid of the dleas inside...finally and yesterday i took a good long look at the cat. when she was inside she had pulled fur out and had big raw scabs. Well not only can I not find a single flea on her but her fur is growing back in and there are no sores. Haven't treated her since I put her out either. Only thing I can think of is she was stressed out being inside and wanted out and that made her more susceptible to them. Oh well she's happy and we're not getting bit by fleas.