Homesteading Forum banner
121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
12,878 Posts
You keep referring to him as a child. He wasn't a child.
You may not like what your kids do as adults, but you give up the right to make decisions about their life. If they want you to murder them, they can choose to tell you so.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Thanks, that's better. It's an honest response about yourself on a personal level and it's not an accusation or insult aimed against anyone else.

I believe that many parents, including the above mentioned parents of the young man in question, knowing for sure that their offspring had committed a heinous crime of murder against a loved one and knowing the kinds of terrible things that will happen to their child in prison, would not want to see their child be sentenced to prison. The thought of their homicidal child being subjected to the cruel punishments of other inmates, of brutal beatings, broken bones and injured internal organs, of having teeth knocked out, enduring repeated violent sodomy and forced oral sex and other physical violations and the subjugation of being the bum-boy and slave of other inmates until eventually he is killed by them ..... that would be considered by the parents to be a non-human and inhumane thing for the parents to allow their child to have to endure all of that kind of horror until he is killed in prison.

Those parents would believe that instead of allowing their child to endure all of those indignities until he is violently killed, the humane thing for them to do for their child would be to immediately execute him themselves or to encourage him and provide him with the means and personal assistance for their child to take his own life.

That is what I think was done by the parents of the young man in question and I think it makes them honourable, compassionately human and humane parents who did the right thing by their child. They're not non-humans who would prefer to allow vengeance and cruel punishments and torture against their homicidal child.

Even if your description of prison in the US were remotely accurate (it is not), you don't get to make that choice for another person. Claiming executing anyone to save them from prison is doing "the right thing" is outlandish and downright dangerous logic.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
You keep referring to him as a child. He wasn't a child.
You may not like what your kids do as adults, but you give up the right to make decisions about their life. If they want you to murder them, they can choose to tell you so.
Regardless of their age, if it makes you feel better to refer to your children as your offspring rather than as your children that is your prerogative. I won't do that because to me it sounds too detached, clinical and impersonal. I believe that for all parents, our children are our children and should be referred to as our children from the day they are born until the day death parts us, again, regardless of their age.

I also believe that if we are to be good parents we must take responsibility for and do the right duty by our children (and consequently for our society) from the day they are born until the day death parts us. We shouldn't abandon them and our responsibilities to them when they become adults.

You say that "If they want you to murder them, they can choose to tell you so". So, what about when they are conceived and born .... did they have the opportunity to tell the parents that they wanted to be born? Parents are the ones who make the decision to bring children into this world, the children don't ask to be born and we don't ask them if they want to be born. If we take full responsibility for the decisions we make to bring them into the world and we do our duty in raising them into moral, responsible and upstanding adults themselves it won't be necessary for the parents to make decisions about their children's lives when their children become adults and get set loose on the world.

If children do wrongs and harms when we set them loose on the world and foist them off onto our society it's because the parents were neglectful parents who reneged on their responsibilities and parental duties and did wrong by their children in the ways that they raised them. Parents need to be held to account and to make amends for their neglect of their children.

We don't know what went down between that young man and his parents when he confessed his sins to them and we likely never will know. But I think his parents made the decision to be responsible parents who make amends to their child and to the society he harmed and to protect their child from further harm to come if he was to be incarcerated for his act of murder.

·
Registered
12,878 Posts
If children do wrongs and harms when we set them loose on the world and foist them off onto our society it's because the parents were neglectful parents who reneged on their responsibilities and parental duties and did wrong by their children in the ways that they raised them. Parents need to be held to account and to make amends for their neglect of their children.

We don't know what went down between that young man and his parents when he confessed his sins to them and we likely never will know. But I think his parents made the decision to be responsible parents who make amends to their child and to the society he harmed and to protect their child from further harm to come if he was to be incarcerated for his act of murder.
Murdering your own adult children because you were neglectful in your duties as a parent? Ok then.
Killing your son or daughter to make amends for something sounds a little I don't know, Talibanish, especially since you are blaming yourself.
Try going to the parents of the daughter who was killed and confessing, asking for forgiveness and accepting the consequences of our justice system, well, that is kind of how it works in a civilized society.

·
Premium Member
29,043 Posts
So people who turned out to be horrible murderers are that way because their parents messed up and only because their parents messed up? It's never because there was just something wrong with that person or their brain was damaged somehow?

Brian Laundrie was not an only child. None of his siblings killed anyone.

What would you do if you found out your offspring was a Jeffrey Dahmer, Timothy McVeigh or Adolph Hitler?

·
Premium Member
29,043 Posts
Now you are the thought police?

How would you react if you found out that your grown offspring killed someone in cold blood? How would you react if you found out your grown offspring killed several people in cold blood? Would you be able to watch your child being beaten or abused in prison while waiting for death in prison?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Now you are the thought police?

How would you react if you found out that your grown offspring killed someone in cold blood? How would you react if you found out your grown offspring killed several people in cold blood? Would you be able to watch your child being beaten or abused in prison while waiting for death in prison?
I am not sure how you believe that I claim to be the thought police. I just found it terribly odd that you would "Like" posts that advocated killing your own child/offspring no matter what they had done. It seems unlikely that is even what happened in this case. But, were I the one of the parents of that dumbass and known where he was or would be, I would have led LEO to him and done my best to make sure he didn't commit suicide by cop or hurt anyone else.

You and @Paumon visions of prison is not realistic. Terrible things do happen in prisons (just like outside of prisons), but it is not universal. Granted, child molesters and child killers have a tough time, as they should. But, random jackasses that kill their girlfriends.....not so much.

·
Premium Member
29,043 Posts
Am I not allowed to "like" part of a post? A person can "like" or agree with part of a post, but not necessarily the whole post. And nobody anywhere said anything about killing their own child "no matter what they had done".

Maybe a girl-friend killer would be abused in prison, maybe they wouldn't. Maybe they would get what they truly deserve, maybe they wouldn't. Maybe a person's soul is more important than what happens to their body.

No one will ever know what Laundry told his parents, no one will know if he even talked to his parents. Did they kill him or did they just play witness to his suicide? You don't know, I don't know. Only they know what happened. They lost their son when (if) he killed Gabby in cold blood.

At any rate, I hope and pray I never have to deal with discovering my offspring was a murderer. I would hope no one ever has to find out their offspring is a murderer. Unfortunately sometimes people find out their offspring, sometimes even children, are cold blooded killers. In the end, do you turn them over to the police and pray for justice while worrying about retaliation, or do you take another course?

·
Registered
12,878 Posts
Am I not allowed to "like" part of a post? A person can "like" or agree with part of a post, but not necessarily the whole post. And nobody anywhere said anything about killing their own child "no matter what they had done".

Maybe a girl-friend killer would be abused in prison, maybe they wouldn't. Maybe they would get what they truly deserve, maybe they wouldn't. Maybe a person's soul is more important than what happens to their body.

No one will ever know what Laundry told his parents, no one will know if he even talked to his parents. Did they kill him or did they just play witness to his suicide? You don't know, I don't know. Only they know what happened. They lost their son when (if) he killed Gabby in cold blood.

At any rate, I hope and pray I never have to deal with discovering my offspring was a murderer. I would hope no one ever has to find out their offspring is a murderer. Unfortunately sometimes people find out their offspring, sometimes even children, are cold blooded killers. In the end, do you turn them over to the police and pray for justice while worrying about retaliation, or do you take another course?
Well, so much for holiday discussions, lol.
I read a difference in your tone and context vs an earlier poster who came off as somewhat abrasive and a little out of touch.
There is currently a series on showtime called "The Judge" about a man, a judge, who has a son involved in the hit and run death of another local teen.
His dad drives him to the police station in order to turn himself in. It was then he discovers the parents of the dead boy are mafia leaders. I won't throw out any spoilers, and the series seems to wane a little (to me) as it goes on, but it does give a little insight into what parents are willing to do to protect their children, even those in positions of holding up the law.
Flash photography Tableware Performing arts Entertainment Event

121 - 138 of 138 Posts