Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a REALLY good deal on mayo a few years ago, so I got a few cases of it. This is Hain's brand, BTW. Nothing artificial in it, all natural ingredients, so it might not act the same as mayo full of all sorts of chemicals.

But anyhow, probably a good thing I'm finally running low on it.

It has a Use By date of 29 Jan, 2004. Which makes it almost 5 years longer than the manufacturer intended for it to be used.

The sealed jars still look fine, and we're not getting sick from it. But the last couple of jars have started separating soon after opening (and trying to reblend it just makes it liquid mush), which means I can't open one now unless I know I'm going to be using it up very fast. So now it's reserved for things that use a lot of mayo, like potato or chicken salad.

If I stock up on any mayo in the future, I'll keep the amount down to what I can expect to use up in no more than 4 years.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
HI LC
When your next opened jar starts to separate, try whipping in some fresh egg yoke. That should re-suspend the oil and keep you from throwing it out. Still, good preping information!
Michael

·
Incubator Addict
3,111 Posts
I am jealous that your mayo lasts so long in storage! We have had it separate before it had even been opened. Of course, it all was placed on top of the refrigerator for a while, not the best place for it. All you tall people that live with short people, don't put anything on top of the refrigerator without telling us it is up there. We can't always see that high!!

I have experimented with making my own mayonnaise in the past, just so that I know how to do it. It is good, but it is certainly a different product than the kind you buy at the store.

Kayleigh

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My experience has been that mayo in glass jars (IF you can find any) keeps better than the same stuff in plastic.

Mayo is sensitive to storage temperatures so the cooler you keep it the better it will keep.

.....Alan.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Speaking of mayo, I was getting the 8 oz. squeeze mayo and miracle whip at Dollar General for $1.00 for a few years when they discontinued it. What I loved about it is that you could use it up quickly if refrigeration was an issue so it made a great prep item. They replaced it with a 16 oz. version at an almost doubled price per ounce. As far as glass, I miss it so much. I can hardly find anything in it nowadays and I suspect a big part of that is weight and shipping costs to the manufacturer and then to the distributor who ships it one more time to the retailer.

This post reminds me of something I saw in high school when I went home with a classmate. They kept their mayo in a kitchen cabinet at room temp even after it was open. I would not touch it and did without LOL. They were plenty healthy so I guess they had developed a tolerance for it.

I love homemade mayo and if I ever get chickens, I intend to make all my mayo...don't trust store bought eggs

·
Registered
745 Posts
We just stocked up last fall when the Amish store had the 8ou jars for 0.39 a piece. I have been making a lot of ham and turkey salad with it and so far it has stored well. It shows an out of date Nov. 08 and I hope to have most of it used up by Dec 09. At that price I was willing to take a chance of loosing a few jars.

I did not know the trick about adding back in fresh eggs. Thanks for sharing that with us. I will try it if they start to seperate. Thanks

Mel

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Of course, it all was placed on top of the refrigerator for a while, not the best place for it. All you tall people that live with short people, don't put anything on top of the refrigerator without telling us it is up there. We can't always see that high!!
Kayleigh
Whenever I need to hide some forbidden food item from my wife I just put it on top of the frig. Haven't been caught yet!

·
Registered
12 Posts
On the lighter side... and speaking of mayonnaise

Many years ago mayonnaise was first brought to the country of Mexico. The people fell in love with it. They ordered a ship loaded with just mayo to be sent, so everyone could enjoy. Well the ship ran into a storm and sank to the bottom of the ocean. The people were so sad the President of Mexico declared it a national holiday. They still celebrate it as of this day. Maybe you have heard of it....
Sinko-de-Mayo.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Mayo is sensitive to storage temperatures so the cooler you keep it the better it will keep.

.....Alan.
So long as you don't let it freeze. I learned the hard way not to store jars of mayo in the garage.

·
Banned
6,042 Posts
Why not just store your mayo in .....
Oil and vinegar by the gallon, chickens in the coop? This is the homesteading board right?

My DW has been making all our mayo since we got chickens what 8 years now.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Oil and vinegar by the gallon, chickens in the coop? This is the homesteading board right?

My DH makes excellent mayo as well, but I haven't the skill or patience to make it myself, so I can certainly understand if a family lacks anyone who wants to make mayo. (In our house, mayo and tortillas are DH's realm, and he mostly handles the Sunday waffles as well.)

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
I haven't found any brand thats still in glass. Did find a spicy sandwich spread thats in glass, but I can't use that stuff as universally as I can mayo.

Anyone know of a glass bottled brand?

·
Registered
6,764 Posts

Yep.. we make all our own now... nothing compares.

·
Banned
6,042 Posts
Could some of you that make your own mayo share the recipe?

Thanks!
No idea how she does it... I'll ask!!

Here you go.

2 large eggs
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground mustard
2 Tbsp vinegar

MIX above ingredients together in blender.
After the above is blended slowly add 2 cups of oil while blending. She does this on high speed.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
I use 2 egg yolks and 1 whole egg

here is mine:

2 egg yolks
1 whole egg
1 tablespoon of dijon mustard
a pinch of white pepper ( sometimes I use cayenne if I want a zing)
a pinch of salt
juice from one large lemon

Place in food processor for a few seconds to mix..then slowly add 2 cups of oil.. I use 1 1/2 canola and 1/2 olive... but you can use what you choose so long as it equals two cups

store in mason jar in refrigerator..

I have used others but i like this one the best

1 - 18 of 18 Posts