Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just FYI:

The cheapest way I have found to get Sulmet is in the powder form, as opposed to liquid.

Jeffers stocks item F7-SY (1 lb.) for $22.34, and charged me $5 "service charge." That total price is lower than the unit price EXCLUDING handling anywhere else I checked online, and beats local prices by a wide margin.

I'm like the lil birdy: cheap, cheap, cheap... :p

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't understand the service charge... what is with that? Are all supply sites like that?

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
If you don't order $50 worth of stuff from Jeffers you get charged a sir charge...so order $50 :) then it's free. If you order out of the livestock or equine catalogs they also don't charge shipping...out of the pet catalog and you pay shipping. The powder makes the most sense since the Sulmet liquid is way too diluted to use in goats...but before you mix look up the mg/kg so you get it strong enough for goats, not the directions on the back. Vicki

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I get the 16 oz liquid at Jeffers for $7.44 (actually a reduced price from even a year ago). But I have minis so I could see where the powder might be more cost effective for larger breeds. What about the Di-Meth injectable given orally? That's something like $14.00 and uses less dosage and may be more effective?
Also to Vicki, I've used the liquid for 5/6 years now and have run up against some wicked cocci cases and except in one or two cases, it's worked great.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jeffers beat everybody else's price by $5 or more even with the surcharge, and I didn't feel like buying $30 more stuff I don't need now to save $5.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I used the Albon 12.5 earlier this year and it was in a liquid. Jim how do you mix the powder in with their water? How big are your waters and do you empty whats left and redose every day? I would like to try dosing the water but I am unsure how. Don't want to underdose and cause resistant bugs and don't want to overdose and cause liver problems. More concerned about underdosing.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, chris, here's what works for me when I intake goats:

I take 3 ounces of that powder and mix it in 50 gallons of water. That's about 150% of the cattle dose. I leave it in there 4-5 days. I top it off with water daily to keep it full. That is the only water source. Then I dump it and mix another 50 gallons, and let them at it for another 4-5 days. Then that's it...no more. Ideally it is a 10-day course, but 7 days is the minimum.

I can run up to 20 sick head or intakes off that 50-gallon tank and not have to add more than 2-4 inches of water each day, even when it is hot.

I do not advocate, as some do, feeding antibiotic at low levels all the time. It is a university-proven way to boost average daily weight gain, but I won't do it cuz it breeds resistant bugs. My goats get nothing unless it is an intensive therapy like this.

Disclaimer: I am not a vet. I read on the Net and have been told that this is the wrong way to do it, it will never work, etc. I do not claim to be an expert, I just know what works for me. I started doing this back before there was an easy-access Internet, found it worked, and never changed the syatem, though I have changed the drug on a cost basis. There are several old-line and new-line drugs that have worked for me.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Again, I am not a vet, but it has never hurt mine. I use this regimen for cocci treatment. The kids get most of the drug from mama's milk rather than the water.
Goats have huge drug-clearing abilities, their livers are unreal awesome. That's one reason why their normal copper level will kill a human.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts