FYI, Apples and Potatoes

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Cheryl in SD, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

Last fall we harvested apples. I fixed a big box for long term storage and about two weeks ago we got ready to eat them. They still looked great, were still nice and crisp, but tasted and smelled moldy. It turns out that you can't store potatoes and apples next to each other or the potatoes will sprout and the apples will taste moldy!

Just an FYI.

2. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

I knew they accelerated ripening together, but I didn't realize the apples would look good, but taste awful! :eek: Yuck. Now I understand more of why I'd always been told not to store them together. What a disappointment to go through storing them carefully and having this happen. I guess the goats and chickens will be getting some treats...maybe they won't mind the funky taste.

3. NickieL

NickieL Accidental Farmer

I had no idea that made them taste bad!

Still, I envy your storage abilities. If only I had a spot to store fruits and veggies like that!

4. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

I've got both stored in the basement, and I can smell the apples from the stairs, so need to check them. So far, the potatoes, in another room, but not separated by a door, are doing well. A few are sprouting, but nothing major. Better do something with those apples, tho! Jan in Co

5. Welshmom

Welshmom Well-Known Member

I'll be storing both apples and potatoes (and other root cellar stuff) next Fall in my basement....how close is too close, or should I ask how far apart is far enough? Do I need a door between them? Thanks for the heads up!

6. Wisconsin Ann

Wisconsin Ann Happy Scrounger

Potatoes seem to do bad things to just about anything they're stored near. I've had onions and apples together, and no problems. But put a potato anywhere near them and 'ewwwww'.

7. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I've been told never to store onions and potatoes together.

8. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

There have been claims that apples prevent potatoes from sprouting but the opposite is true. Apples give off ethylene gas which accelerates sprouting.

I do store onions and potatoes within a few feet of each other but have never seen them to not get along.

Martin

9. All country

All country Well-Known Member

I made this mistake one year.
    I quickly learned not to store apples in our basement with the other root crops. The potatoes all went to seed and carrots got hairy.

I can store potatoes garlic, onions, pumpkins, turnips and winter squashes just fine, but apples get canned into apple sauce, spiced apples, pie filling, even apple butter.
    The only apples we store fresh are those we can put in the old refrigerator. After these are gone we have to buy apples for fresh eating, but at least the rest of our stores don't go bad.

We are hoping to put in a smaller root cellar to use for storing apples, but right now it is just another in a long list of to do items.

10. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

I'm with the poster who cans their apples up. I make pie filling in quart jars... it sounds inefficient and like you'll end up with apple mush but in fact that apples hold up nicely and it is a fast way to have pie in the winter: open jars, dump into crust, bake.

I use precious refrigerator storage space for apples in the fall. I've had lousy luck trying to root cellar them. It sound very romantic, go down into the basement and collect apples, but I've found the reality far from satisfying. Wild apples that aren't rendered into pie filling, compote, or sauce are stored in the garage and fed to the sheep. Even if they freeze solid the animals will gnaw away at them for the sugar content.

This thread reminds me to check the potato stores!