Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from sunny Arizona.

We're originally from Chicago, but living in Arizona for the last 10 years. We recently purchased an acre in Williams, AZ close to Valle, AZ. Currently researching for our future move to the land. Looking to connect with others in the area, and hoping to learn from experienced homesteaders based on their experiences and recommendations.

Our sparse little parcel is a little oasis of air, dirt, rock and shrub. No water, electric, sewer, etc...
Should be fun, especially since my son & our grandkids will eventually be coming out to live there too.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Welcome! You are some brave souls, with some pretty land :) I'll be interested to see how your progress goes.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I am not exactly an experienced homesteader, but I do deal with the deserty Arizona conditions as well =) we are still hoping to find a good plot when we're ready to move.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forums!

I am not exactly an experienced homesteader, but I do deal with the deserty Arizona conditions as well =) we are still hoping to find a good plot when we're ready to move.

Hi. The good property for homesteading = water, but that depends on your budget. We went with less expensive land so water will be brought in. It will be an ongoing learning experience.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome! You are some brave souls, with some pretty land :) I'll be interested to see how your progress goes.

Thanks! It's going to be slow going, but we'll get there hopefully in a couple years. My son is planning on moving his family from Chicago to Arizona and the plan is for all 8 of us to live on the property, in 2 different but connected homes of course. :) It will definitely be interesting.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Best of luck to you. You're braver than me. I look at that land and see big snakes, big scorpions and big heat.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Best of luck to you. You're braver than me. I look at that land and see big snakes, big scorpions and big heat.
Thanks. Snakes don't bother me too much but those scorpions give me the creeps.

Plus side is the property is in northern AZ so the temperature will be much better than the Phoenix area. Downsize is snow and cold though. Should be fun.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Don't under-estimate the amount of water that 8 people will need on a day to day basis. This doesn't address having any animals, or a garden. Do your research about collecting/storing/hauling water, it will get old after awhile...good luck !

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't under-estimate the amount of water that 8 people will need on a day to day basis. This doesn't address having any animals, or a garden. Do your research about collecting/storing/hauling water, it will get old after awhile...good luck !

We've been researching and and already know that water will have to be hauled. Basically we'll have to homes on the property with maybe a future third, and there will be kids. We've been monitoring our current water usage and once you pay attention you realize how wasteful a home can be in regards to water. We are still a couple plus years away from actually living on the property so hopefully we will be ready.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I think the best way would be to have a 16' utility trailer (or car hauler like I have), that has two 3500# axles, and a 7000# GVRW This will allow you to get two IBC 330 gallon water tanks like this.

660 gallons of water would be around 5300#, and should last 8 people for at least a week. The ideal scenario, would be to pump the water from these tanks into a much larger underground tank, that could be pumped to the houses.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts