Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just did a broken black and a red cross my self mine are a chestnut almost and broken what ever the color is, ill have to post a pic soon.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If the middle litter was out of 2 broken blacks, looks like one of them is actually a steel + non-extension over chestnut, because you can't get agouti out 2 true selfs. The red indicates that both are carrying non-extension (although it might actually be orange, if it doesn't have the wideband genes).

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is the buck(1st picture) and doe(2nd picture)...they are brother and sister. Their dam is white and their sire was a steel whose sire was red.

I have no clue about color genetics of rabbits...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Very nice!
(Butchered our first NZ, black furred, no problems whatsoever with nice pink clean carcass- dont know what the fuss is about with white furred being "cleaner" carcass? It all gets peeled off anyway....)....

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
That buck is a broken steel.

Steel and red is tricky, because steel shows up on agouti (sometimes called the color 'steel' in some breeds), independently of agouti (gold tipped steel or silver tipped steel with the chin gene). And there is some reason to believe that steel can hide on self animals. Agouti cannot. Some people say all steels are agouti based, but that is not true so far as I can tell. I've produced the occassional steel offspring out of two selfs - but NEVER agoutis. I've also bred a lot of gold tipped steels and NEVER gotten an agouti based animal, and due to assortment AND that agouti is dominant to self - I should've gotten LOTS. :) I think the confusion arose when some breeds have a color called steel that is genetically, steel + agouti - and then people think that is the ONLY way steel expresses, but that is not the case.

And to make it even weirder, it seems to work differently in Flemish than it does in other breeds.

Genetics is hard. :p

Reactions: countryfied2011
1 - 6 of 6 Posts