Fuse Help

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by tiffnzacsmom, Jul 13, 2006.

1. tiffnzacsmom

tiffnzacsmom just me Supporter

I just recently bought an older trailer with round fuses. The one for the bathroom and my son's room blew in the wee hours and I can't figure out how to get it back. I removed the one for those rooms and replaced it with an identical one left here but it isn't working, I tried it in another spot and it worked so it isn't the fuse. What else can I be doing wrong? I am very not mechanically inclined and don't have anyone to really ask for help.

Thanks in Advanced

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

With the power completely off at the main switch so the entire panel is dead. See if there's a little tang on the bottom of the fuse socket that is not sprung up enough to contact the bottom of the fuse. And check the original fuse again to see if it reaches deeper than the one you are using. A sloblow fuse does reach deeper and sometimes they put a little plastic ring in the socket so only that type will fit.

3. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

If they are Fusestats, they are designed so that you can't put a large amprated Fusestate in a place for a smaller rated one--you can't replace a 15 amp Fusestat with a 20 amp Fusestat. (I think that is what Ross is talking about.)

Wht caused the fuse to blow? That would be my first concern, especially if it happened in the "wee hours".

4. tiffnzacsmom

they are Buss fuses 15 amps just like the one I removed. I keep strange hours due to my job and with the heat I've been doing the laundry into the early dawn hours (lease the land and I can't have a line) so between the washer/dryer going and the fan on the furnace I may have overloaded something. I just moved in last month so still getting used to things. Thanks for the help getting someone to try to help me today before I have to call in my dad and see when he can make it.

5. bare

bare Head Muderator

Make sure you don't have a panel that takes two types of fuses. I have a hundred amp panel that shows two screw in buss type fuses that you can readily see, but above it are pull outs, that when you pull them out, expose a couple cartrige fuses as well. Those are the ones that usually blow on me and you generally can't tell by looking that they are bad.

6. tiffnzacsmom

Are they black boxes with a metal handle on them. That's what I have, can I still replace those at a hardware store?

7. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

8. bare

bare Head Muderator

See, everyone else was giving you information on "screw in" Buss fuses, and what you have are cylindrical Buss fuses, held in the black box with a wire handle that you pull out.

Just pull out the whole thing, often there are more than one, and take it into the hardware store with you to get the common replacements. Like I pointed out earlier, you can't always tell that the fuse is bad just by looking at it, so you might as well replace all of them at less than a buck apiece.

9. tiffnzacsmom

Thanks, actually the cylinder was a mess and so was one of the fuses, my dad came and thinks there is a burnt wire and while I was at work this weekend the kids and sitter managed to blow out two additional rooms. Right now waiting for my dad to have some free time so we can check all the wires in the house.

10. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

If an older trailer, could it have aluminumn wiring? There are known issues with that. Aluminumn wires like to swell & shrink over time, and oxide. This makes for arcs and sparks on the loose connections, and a real fire hazard.

Proper connectors rated for Al wire (many rewiring homeowner jobs don't pay attention to this _very_ important thing); grease to keep the oxide (aka rust) off; and good tight connections are needed.

Since you believe the fueses to be good, but things are not working, and someone sees evidence of loose wires - there is a lot of evidence that you have a serious problem here.

I'd get it looked at quick - there can be a real fire hazard here.

I can be wrong of course. :) But, do take this seriously until you find out for sure. You mentioned kids & a sitter...... I'd hate for something bad to happen.......

--->Paul

11. tiffnzacsmom

Paul,

My dad will be here tomorrow to look it all over. He was a trained electrician from when the steel mills were open here and whatever he can't do an electrician friend of mine will do when he comes home in two weeks. Thanks again everyone.