Further adventures in rat-catching

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by pookshollow, Sep 21, 2006.

1. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

I tell ya, I'm going to have to patent my marvellous rat-trap! :p Ten of the little boogers this morning - seven in one bucket, two in another, and one independent soul in a third. That's a record. I think we had six on Sunday, and one or two every morning this week. I check the buckets twice a day and more on the weekends - in case you're thinking otherwise . . . :rolleyes:

The barn kittens think it's great - they don't have to catch them, just wait for me to empty the buckets.

I do wish, though, that they'd go drown themselves somewhere else - I don't think my goats like drinking water that has corpses in it. :grump:

2. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Pictures?

I've been following the Kill the Varmint threads, and I'd like to see your contraption. (Carcasses NOT necessary, though!)

Oh, nuts. Now I have Elmer Fudd's voice in my head, singing "Kill the Varmints!" to Wagner... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

TIA,

Pony!

3. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

You don't even need a bucket! My Dad has had beef cows and has an automatic water trough. He hadn't cleaned it out for a while and thought it was about time. Getting near the bottom, he was shocked to find rat bodies. I think when he cleaned it out, they had almost 100 rats that went for drink in the stock tank and got a little too close to the edge and went for a swim!

But you know what they say about rats or mice - "If you see one you have a whole family of them."

4. Morning Owl

Morning Owl Well-Known Member

My dad got sick of cleaning out mice and rats from the watering trough every day. So he just put a board in it that was long enough to touch the bottom on one side and the top on the other. Put a rock on the bottom of the board so it wouldn't move (float). Now if some thing falls in, it will swim around until it reaches the board and then climb out.

5. Pony

Kind of defeats the purpose of killing varmints though, doesn't it?

Pony!

6. Morning Owl

Morning Owl Well-Known Member

Yea I guess it does, sorry :nerd:

7. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

Hmm, we never have rats in our water troughs although we know there are rats in the barn. We stick with cube bait nailed to a piece of plywood with a box over it and a small hole cut in the box. rats think they're eating in peace.

congrats on your success!

8. pookshollow

It's a bucket - for the goats to drink out of. :shrug: No contraption whatsoever!

The weird thing is, these are all half-grown rats, no adults. They seem to be drowning themselves in whole litters!

I'm beginning to think that someone around here is poisoning them and they're coming to my barn to drink - although we're not real close to anybody, we're in the middle of a 10 acre parcel. The barn kittens have been munching down on them without any ill effect, anyway.

9. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

D-Con makes them thirsty, so maybe you are right. A drowning death is faster and less painfull than a D-Con death. I've never found any rats or mice in the water; our mice prefer my car.

10. ChickenRN

ChickenRN Well-Known Member

So do you just stick a bucket of water outside the coop? Does it have to be a certain height or made out of anything special? I have some kind of varmint in my coop too. Not sure what it is although it's cute, I mean THEY are cute.

11. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

I kept my grain (for hens) in a galv garbage can and the rats would jump in and be unable to escape when it was low. Put terrier in to get them til one bit her on the nose, then shot them in the can with pellet gun. Then hens finished off corpses. Always left my lowest can uncovered for this purpose once I discovered it.

12. pookshollow

I suppose you could - these ones are in the goat stalls (and in one instance, the goose stall :p ). They hang a little ways off the floor against the wall - except for the goose bucket which just sits on the floor. I'm not doing anything to attract them - honest! - they just come in hordes to drown in my buckets. :grump:

13. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Well-Known Member

You sure they're not lemmings? :)

Lemmings

14. Pony

YAY!!! LEMMINGS!!! I haven't played that in years!!!

I'm outta here... back in a couple of days...

Pony!

15. pookshollow

The thought has crossed my mind. :rolleyes: