Furnace pipe question-something lost-help

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by NancyinArkansas, Aug 1, 2005.

1. NancyinArkansas

NancyinArkansas Well-Known Member

The closet my furnace is in has a pipe under it-about 4 inches sticks up out of the floor-it is about 4 inches around-I dont know what this pipe is for but it goes straight down and then it curves around-well one of the kids managed to open the door and put a toy in the pipe and it must have went around the curve and is there any way to get it out-I guess this is the dumbest guestion i have asked on here -i tried to put a wire down it but that did nt work --thank you for looking at this -Nancy

2. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

do you have forced hot air maybee its from a old system does the pipe go down to a basement

3. NancyinArkansas

We dont have a basement-i think it is the pipe where we were going to hook up central air but we never did -we have cental heat but it dont work-never did-nancy

4. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

then dont worry about it

5. NancyinArkansas

I just want to know where that pipe goes-so i can get the toy out-does it go to the outside somewhwere-nancy

6. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

did you try a vacum ? may be able to suck it up . pipe may be a fresh air intake or a water drain.

7. Ahne Homestead

Ahne Homestead Well-Known Member

Nancy What is the pipe made out of and where is it located in the closet in reference to the furnace? Carl

8. NancyinArkansas

the pipe is in the floor under the furnance-made of p v cand it has cement around it-you open the door to the furnance-under the furnance is the grates where the filter is-if you take the grate off then there is a big opening and the pipe is in the middle of it-i can put my arm down in it but then it curves around and i guess that is where the toy is-nancy

9. Ahne Homestead

Ahne Homestead Well-Known Member

Nancy It is where the return air duct should be. If you do not have a drain for the condensate off of the a-coil in the furnace then it could be a drain pipe. It will be glued all the way but it will most likely be in your crawl space. If you have a magnet that you can attach to a clothes hanger or something longer (and the toy is make of metal) you might be able to retrieve it that way. The vaccum sweeper idea is a good one also. Carl

10. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

if its under the filter it can very well be a return how the heck did the kids get in there