Furnace duct cleaning???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Beeman, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

it's the time of year for pre winter maintenance. i was cleaning my furnace fan and replacing the filters and making sure everything functions properly. I also removed all of the floor vents and cleaned in them. Is there a simple do it yourself way to clean all of the ducts on a forced hot air system?

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Thread a rope thru the duct...from floor vent to furnace. Tie a cat to one end of the rope and pull the other end of rope until the cat comes out the other end.

3. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

My cat has a very short tail and the rope keeps slipping off.

4. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Many people have that same problem with their cats. What they do is drop a live mouse down the floor vent and let the cat "have at 'em."

5. bare

bare Head Muderator

I use an electrical snake wired to a towel. Be prepared to find some pretty surprising stuff down there.

My dinnerware doubled in size after snaking the duct in my kids room. Don't know all the specifics, but for some odd reason, my kids would hide dishes and old food in their heating duct.

6. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

:happy: OMG, I am feeling so much better now bare. I thought only my kids did that. We just cleaned ours out and the list of things we found were

spoons
    little lego people
    fishing line AND hook (boys said they were trying to fish the lego people out, but accidently dropped that in too)
    Sand from when the boys emptied their shoes out from a beach trip, I'm sure.
    scrap paper that could have started a small bon fire!

Oh, can't forget the dog food. I could have sworn we had a mouse drag it all in there, but I have witnessed the dogs carrying their food in their mouth by the vent to eat it instead of eating out of their bowl.

I vacuum the vents with the indoor/outdoor vacuum as far as the vacuum can reach.