fur sheep?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Pops2, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Pops2

Pops2 Well-Known Member

okay, i understand the difference between the hair sheep & wool sheep. where do fur sheep come in? i would appreciate an more informative answer, i know there has to be at least one sheep genius here.
    thanks all

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

I've never heard of "fur sheep", to which breed are you referring? The technical difference in general between hair and fur, is that with hair, there is a single strand of hair that grows from each follicle, whereas with fur, there are more than one strand from each follicle.

With regard to domestic sheep, as far as I know there are only 3 classifications,

PRIMITIVE (those breeds that predate the division between hair and wool, such as Soay and Jacob etc, these tend toward mutlipurpose and tend to be smaller),

HAIR (rasied primarily for meat and or milk, generally from warmer climates) and

WOOL(raised primarily for...you guessed it...wool).

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I'm with George on this one never heard of a "fur" sheep. To add what little else I know, some lambs were born and butchered right away for their pelts to make coats mits etc. Karacul I think was a breed used for this. As well you can brush a wool breed lamb skin into a fur looking cover; but it is wool.

4. bergere

bergere Just living Life

The only Fur sheep I have heard of is from Norway,, and there is none in the USA.
    http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/sheep/

[​IMG]
    Above is what they call a Fur sheep from Norway.

Some of those Jacob lines..like the puddleduck line,, has no harsh guard hairs any more,, just lots of nice medium handle fleece for handspinning.

I know in the past they have called the Gotland's Fur sheep. However I know first hand they have some of thee softest fleece around. I know, am spinning up some right now. Nice handle, easy to spin,, and unlike many soft fleece breeds, it is quite strong.
    Some folks from the Scandinavian country's call the super soft fleece sheep breeds fur sheep. I just do not know why??