fur mites?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by tosher56, May 22, 2006.

1. tosher56

tosher56 Member

My rabbit is losing the fur behind her neck. she has fleas. is the fleas causing this to happen or couldthis be fur mites?
    Also he is only 2 and a half weeks old. Is there anything I can treat her with that won't hurt her? she is in the house right now so she gets fleas from the cat who is also losing fur.

I really want to help my rabbit. I've hand feed her since she was a week old when her mother died.

2. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

That's very young to treat with any flea spray, etc. WIth a rabbit that small I would carefully pick the fleas off or use a flea comb and get them off that way (flick them into soapy water so they drown). You cat also need this done as fleas in the house ARE NOT FUN!

Good luck. Sounds like you've done well so far bottle feeding.

Jennifer

3. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I use Ivomec and it seems to work great.

4. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

yeah-- get the cat treated with something like frontline or advantage-- if possible, make it an "indoor only " cat, to keep fleas from being bought into the house. I have never heard of Ivomec being used for fleas on any animal-- lice and mites, yes, but fleas, no. for a baby that young, Ivomec would be contra-indicated.It can be pretty harsh on immature systems. However, tea Tree oil can help clean up mites in skin...Dilute with light mineral oil so you do not burn the skin with it.SOmething alse that is pretty safe is Goodwinol Ointment-- just rub it in...

Terry W

5. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

Get a flea powder from the vet that is safe for nursing kittens to use on the baby rabbit. It will work on fur mites, too.
    Then treat the cat, and flea bomb the house. And repeat until the fleas are gone.
    Good luck!
    Lisa at Somerhill

6. tosher56

tosher56 Member

opps I just reread my first post and I noticed I said she is 2 and a half weeks old. she is really about 2 and a half months old.
    Also, is the hair loss from fleas? Thank yall for the help so far.