Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's something that has me scratching my head and thinking, "Pony, you are clueless!" (Okay, lousy self-talk, but I need help and this is not in any of my books!)

This morning, we had a bit of a thunderstorm, with a good deal of rain.

The rabbits got a little damp, but not really wet. (The wind had blown some rain through one end of the "rabbit stand".) Once I fed them and gave them a little clover, they seemed content. When I took a closer look, I saw that there was a LARGE clump of fur in with the lop crosses.

Now, I don't know pregnant from the man on the moon, though I have tried to palpate, but I don't THINK anyone out there is pregnant.

I did put the nicer lop in with the Dutch buck yesterday, but that was like Mission: Impossible. He tried, but she wasn't receptive. During his attempts to mount her, the buck grabbed hold of the fur on her back. Assumed that was "usual", please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm VERY open to education here!

ANYway, clumps of fur. I'm hoping this is just fur that she cleaned out from her back, or one/both of the does got anxious because of the thunder and yanked a bunch of fur out from the other -- and that she's not trying to build a nest.

On the outside chance that she really is getting ready to kindle, should I pop a nest box in there? Or should I just assume that the buck was a little too ardent in his attempts?

TIA,
Pony! (who realizes that there are no stupid questions, but wonders if she is pushing the envelope here!)

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, I just went back outside, and the weather has cleared and it's nice out, and the cage seems to be filling up with fur.

My thoughts: Either those two are fighting (we've separated them) and/or someone's trying to build a nest.

Of course, the other option is that somehow they got on to the Fiber Forum, and they're going to take up spinning. Hm... wonder if they've got a drop spindle hiding in there... ;)

ANY thoughts or helpful suggestions are appreciated. But please be kind. I am very new to this and feel like a total idiot.

Thanks,
Pony!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Did you breed anybody about 30 days ago? if so, give whoever it was a box. I can't palpate for the life of me. I play the waiting game and give all thats been bred a box. It could be a false prengancy, they don't even have to breed for that but will bild a nest just because hormones tell them too.
you just breed the nicer lop yesterday then you would put the box in on around day 28. She may have just pulled fur that the buck loosened or maybe the 2 girls were fighting .

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Our doe pulled the fur from her belly it would be better to put a nest box in than to loose a litter.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, we found out what it was.

Mongo was beating the snot out of Rita, pulling her fur out and just being an absolute -- well, fill in the blank. She was also trying to mount Rita, so we thought, "Well, maybe she wants to be serviced" so we brought her to the buck.

She beat him up, too.

ETA: She bit me, too. Hard.

Nick is sharpening the knives as I type.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the input!!

Pony!

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Wow! Talk about your attack rabbits. She hates everyone. I think you're doing the right thing inviting her to dinner. You don't want those genes in future generations of rabbits.

·
Pook's Hollow
4,570 Posts
Wow! Talk about your attack rabbits. She hates everyone. I think you're doing the right thing inviting her to dinner. You don't want those genes in future generations of rabbits.
I had a breeding doe like that once - her name got changed to "Soup" pretty darned fast! :p Like you say, I didn't want those genes in my rabbits.

·
Enjoying Polish Rabbits
1,219 Posts
Pook - 'soup' at your house, is it? At my place it's 'pot pie'!! Fun how we learn as we go, isn't it?

And Pony - sometimes instinct takes over and tells you when the time is right. So, no more Mongo worries. Does the 'rabbitry' seem quieter now?

·
Pook's Hollow
4,570 Posts
First you make soup, then you can make pot pie from all that nice tender meat! :dance:

My nasty doe used to bark and growl at me through the wire - and attack me when I tried to handle her. :flame:

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bernadette said:
Pook - 'soup' at your house, is it? At my place it's 'pot pie'!! Fun how we learn as we go, isn't it?

And Pony - sometimes instinct takes over and tells you when the time is right. So, no more Mongo worries. Does the 'rabbitry' seem quieter now?
Yes and no. ;)

No more nasty, biting, growling Mongo.

But now we have added Arnold and Maria. :) They're very nice, and we hope that they are prolific as well. :D

Pony!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts