funny turnip story

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by stumpyacres, Mar 23, 2005.

1. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

I had a turnip in the fridge that started to grow, so I decided to plant it in a container - yah know something different. Well my pup must have seen me and he apparently thinks I am hiding a ball because everyday he digs it up and lays it on the front porch and....everyday I plant it again...who is trained? - oh man!

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

:haha: LOL Sure beats the dead mice my cat leaves for me

3. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

We are still eating turnips we planted last fall, plus taking 3 big boxes to church for everyone. One little lady told my husband she fried her turnips. I have never done this, so went and talked to her. She said she slices them thin, browns them in butter in a big skillet on both sides, then adds brown sugar on top of them,cover a few minutes to carmelize, and I tried it . They were wonderful.

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

My Granny Pearl always cooked turnips with the greens and some fat back. Then we ate it with the pot likker poured over corn bread.

5. lynpea

lynpea Well-Known Member

LOL that reminded me of a pot-belly pig that my sister once owned. She planted many daffodils and Willie would have them dug up, laying nicely along side of the hole the next day. They did this a few times, and then she gave up. The really strange thing is that Willie never actually saw her plant them. He was "SUM PIG."

6. mommymushbrain

mommymushbrain Well-Known Member