Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the air conditioning has been running awhile, if I turn off the air and just use the vents there's this funky sweet sorta smell that comes out. It doesn't go away as long as I have the vents open. Any idea what this could be?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Have you owned it since new? If not, any chance it's a katrina car? What I mean by that is one that was exposed to flood waters. I know a couple people that bought similar vintage vehicles only to have them stink to high heaven when the heat or ac were on. They were cars that had been flooded.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
Probily what you smell is condensation on the coils. I have seen this on cars that don't have enough drain on them.

·
In memoriam
79,017 Posts
Is it the sweet smell of anti freeze? Your heater core could be leaking and it uses the same vents

·
Registered
479 Posts
sweet smell is normally anti-freeze, check out the level of your coolant overflow tank. But my father's Carravan would get the same thing. It is a drain line from the front cowl (the area that the wiper blades stick out from) that gets plugged up if any leaves or debris gets trapped. Check with your dealer's mechanic. The dealer will never admit to a design flaw. Mike

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To answer the question posed above, no, it's not a Katrina car. We purchased it brand, spanking new.

·
Love it, or leave it...
402 Posts
What does it smell like when the heat is on? Try that.

It is possible that a rodent of some sort may have made a nest in the vent system and there are either dropping, or a dead mouse or two in there. I once bought a vehicle that smelled like a wet dog. I shampooed the whole shootin match many times. It took a while, but after taking the vent system apart, I found the problem.

·
Banned
5,950 Posts
As others have stated if it is a sweet smell, you are smelling burnt anti freeze from a leak. This is how mechanics can tell if you have a cracked block. The anti-freeze leaks into the cylinder and burns and you can smell it in the exhaust.
If you are smelling it in the cabin of the car then you have a leak somewhere in the vent system allowing air from the engine compartment into the vent system. Again if it is sweet smelling you have an anti-freeze leak somewhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts