[Funny] News Headline: Farmer Found Frozen in Freak Friday Fix!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by highlands, Dec 7, 2004.

1. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Staff Member Supporter

News Headline: Farmer Found Frozen in Freak Friday Fix!

Well, no, not really, but as I struggled in the cold I could just see the newspaper headlines! It was close... :)

We have one car. Normally when my wife goes into town to do errands I don't play with big tools like the chain-saw or tractor just to be extra safe. But Friday I had been working on redoing a section of driveway and it was very rough. Unfortunately a hydraulic hose burst and I had to stop and repair that.

The section of driveway is flat, with walls on either side. "If I finish it now before she returns," I thought to myself, "then she'll have an easier time turning around and parking. And it is pretty safe. What could go wrong? I'm on flat ground, can't flip over, there are earthen walls to either side, I'm dressed warmly and I could even plow the driveway for her."

So I did. Everything was great. It all looked good in time for her to return. In fact I was well and early with an hour or two to spare. Great - it will be good news for Holly!

I parked and went to undo my seat belt in the tractor. Oops! Bad news - No go. The seat belt latch was frozen shut. Banged on it with my hand for a while to no avail...

Good news - "No problem," I thought, "I've got a tool in my picket with a screwdriver, pliers and knife..."

Bad news - the seat belt goes over them and I can't get into the pocket of my work suit! I guess that shows that even the paranoid don't think of everything.

It was getting cold and although I was dressed well for the weather, I had been out in it a long time. I was starting to feel the cold and the snow had started up again. Headlines started to flash through my mind, "Man found frozen in seat alone at home!" Oh great! This isn't real - right!?! She'll be home in an hour... or two...! This was ridiculous. I felt slightly silly. And shivered at the thought. Or maybe it was the cold.

Good news - I could drive to a neighbors, it is only a mile. They might be home, in the middle of a work day... really...

Bad news - I am almost out of fuel. Maybe getting stuck on a back road where people very rarely drive while locked in my seat is not such a bright idea...

Good news! Down at my feet was a logging chain on the floor of the tractor cab. I managed to get it over close enough and pick it up. First I tried tapping, and then banging the seat belt latch with the chain hook. I figured a bigger mass than my hand might help.

Bad news - no go! Now the latch appeared stuck down and still wasn't giving. Things were not progressing.

But wait, no need to panic! Good news! On the end of the chain, holding on the hook was a pin. On the pin was a wire ring that held it on to the chain and the hook. I disassembled it, making a straight wire out of the ring. Using that I poked around in side the latch and presto-magico, I was free. No headlines! :) :) :) I felt pretty silly. All this for the lack of a pokey thing.

I got out, tried the buckle and latch repeatedly and they worked fine now, of course! I sprayed some WD-40 into the latch - I should have done that before with winter coming on. So I managed to remain out of the newspaper and statistics for one more day. Life is good.

Cheers,

Walter Jeffries
    Sugar Mtn Farm
    in Vermont

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

....................Glad to hear your OK Walter . I started to suggest that you carry a sharp pocket knife , but My knife is in the seat of my Pickup where it stays until I visit the PO and open my mail about 3 days a week . Lotta good it would do me , huh! Merry Christmas and you might want to keep a 2 way radio (CB , perhaps) in the cab of your tractor , atleast during the winter . ..fordy... :)

3. highlands

*grin* the irony is that I had a knife, in my pocket, which the seat belt was covering so I couldn't get into the pocket to get the knife and it was a full work suit so there wasn't even the option of somehow wiggling out of the pants. :)

As to the radio, I'm in a valley which is a dead spot radio wave-wise. Bummer. :)

I did put another knife into a spot under the seat where I can reach it... But you just _know_ that incident will never occur again! :)

Cheers,

-Walter
    Sugar Mtn Farm
    in Vermont

4. DreamingBig

DreamingBig Well-Known Member

Funny story Walter! Do you write? Very well written!! :worship:

5. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest you cup your hands, fill them with warm body fluid and pour that over the frozen latch! Did you hear about the blond fox? It got its paw caught in a bear trap and chewed 3 legs off and was still trapped.

6. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

7. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

You aren't all that far from me, Walter, I would have probably seen it in the paper! :haha:

8. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

Angels were watching over you anyway Walter. I recently had a flat tire on my way home from work and I had a spare but no wrench and it's 12:30 am and I'm in the middle of nowhere and it's about 20 degrees out. It's 25 miles to home and I'm in the one spot of the whole stretch where there is no cell phone signal.
    I'm really to be nice "hot under the collar" because I have no wrench. So I drive the car about a mile and ruin the tire of course just so I can call my wife to come with some tools so I can change the tire. Ruined my whole week.

9. highlands

*grin* May you never read about me in the paper! :)

So, where art thou? We're in Orange, or East Orange. Over the heights.

Cheers,

-Walter
    in the valley of the family of Rid.
    (literal transation of our road name)