Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
unfortuantly I can't veiw the Picture, I got to log in with a User name and password!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well, I see you are from Texas, where you are lucky enough to have the full complement of black widow spiders in the US ;). You definitely have a female there. It could be a Northern, Southern, or Western Black Widow. I'll guess it is the Northern Widow - Latrodectus variolus. Typically the Northern Widow has a marked back and sides, as opposed to the Western Widow which is generally all back, or the Southern Widow, which will generally also have a red dot at the tip of the abdomen. If I recall correctly, the hourglass on the Northern Widow is generally also separated, so you have two separate triangles in many cases.

Do I gather from the picture that your Widow is on paper wasp patrol for you? ;)

-Bill

Stand_Watie said:
Instead of having a solid black back she had a series of triangles and diamonds in a line.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
:) Very interesting! Texas A&M has a great entomoloty dept.

http://insects.tamu.edu/

You can e-mail them. I wonder if they would be interested in the coloration of this spider? The several species of Widows in the USA are all listed with the typical markinga on the vental side of the abdomen, but nothing about the dorsal side.

Thanks for the photo! Let us know if you find out anything else.

LQ

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Do I gather from the picture that your Widow is on paper wasp patrol for you?

-Bill

a lot of people miss that fact. spiders are often beneficials, that eat other bugs we humans find noxious.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Instead of taking pictures of it, I would have just stepped on it. Spiders might be OK Outside, but I don't like them. Nice pics though!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Instead of taking pictures of it, I would have just stepped on it. Spiders might be OK Outside, but I don't like them. Nice pics though!
I took pictures and then I killed it (and a couple of egg sacs that were right next to her). If I'd found it as much as a couple hundred feet from my home I'd have let her be, but this was right on my house, and I've a wife and an 8 year old to consider.

She did have a complete hourglass on her belly, but the pictures of that were too blurry. I have seen several with only separated triangles though.

Bill, she probably was on wasp patrol, although the wasps don't generally bother us much either, I just knock down their nests occassionally. I do have literally thousands of garden spiders which are beautiful, brilliant and huge around my house that I go out of my way to avoid when mowing and trimming, and scads of those little hairy jumping spiders with the white dot on their back that are in the house (we catch them and put them out and I swear they come right back inside).

I see these guys better than four inches across sometimes (not my photo)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Wow I've never seen a widow out in the open. They stay in dark places around here, northern NC, usually under the house. I see alot of fat round spiders on the house at night. Some as big around as a nickle and speckled.

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
Stand_Watie said:
I took pictures and then I killed it (and a couple of egg sacs that were right next to her). If I'd found it as much as a couple hundred feet from my home I'd have let her be, but this was right on my house, and I've a wife and an 8 year old to consider.

She did have a complete hourglass on her belly, but the pictures of that were too blurry. I have seen several with only separated triangles though.

Bill, she probably was on wasp patrol, although the wasps don't generally bother us much either, I just knock down their nests occassionally. I do have literally thousands of garden spiders which are beautiful, brilliant and huge around my house that I go out of my way to avoid when mowing and trimming, and scads of those little hairy jumping spiders with the white dot on their back that are in the house (we catch them and put them out and I swear they come right back inside).

I see these guys better than four inches across sometimes (not my photo)

..........The , best , Mummyification , that I've Seen , is Too watch that big Yellow\Black spider go to work on a Big , Fat , Scorpion . If, I can catch a
big old scorpion I Like to take it out to the "Website" of Madame Spider and toss it into the Web and watch the Spider work that Scorpion Over . They don't stand a chance............fordy..... :eek: :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
The yellow/black spider is an Orb spider and considered harmless. Although they will scare the pants off me when I see them! :rolleyes: :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts