Funny how they know...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by DocM, Nov 26, 2006.

1. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

About 3:30, all my goats were making a loud ruckus in the barn. They usually don't start up until about 4:45 because they're fed at 5 sharp - and they can tell time.

I went out to investigate, and found my oldest girl, 14 last march, had died in her sleep. She was fine this morning, or as fine as she ever is, I knew she was fading, getting hard to stand, panting after following the others inside in the late afternoon, the vet said her heart was going to give out soon...

They had made a protective circle around her, and it was a chore carrying her out - does that have NEVER made an agressive move towards me were putting their heads down and challenging me to come near. I had to distract them with grain.

It's been over an hour and they haven't let up their screaming. She wasn't related to any of these goats, came here as a county foster animal from an abusive home, but they're all acting like their own mother just deserted them.

Poor babies.

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Sorry for you loss. When we put down our 12 year old one year, her 8 year old best friend layed next to where she had always slept, and pretty much gave up on life.

Putting down or loosing your old ones is the hardest part of raising goats. Vicki

3. HappyFarmer

HappyFarmer Well-Known Member

When our 30 year old QH passed away in a hard-to-reach part of her stall, we had to bring in some equipment to get her out. Her daughter & goat pal were charging the equipment. We found her goat friend laying beside her & she stayed there on & off apparently mourning for several days. I think it was equally hard for each of us. They certainly do know.

I'm sorry for your loss.
    HF

4. copperpennykids

copperpennykids Well-Known Member Supporter

The dam to our foundation doe Dinah was used to foster horse babies. She died when she was 12 years old. When the owners went to get her, each horse paid tribute to her, starting with her first foster foal (age 10 mare) down to her last, spending anywhere from 1/2 hour to 45 minutes with her. Only when they were all done grieving would the horses let them take her body away. I just bawled when they told us what had happened. Thought it was amazing that they went in order too.

5. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Sorry for your loss. No doubt we are all connected in this universe.

Huggs,
    Rose

6. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i was wondering how long my old doe might live. i've had her at least ten years and she is still popping out twins twice a year. she is definitely queen and lead goat.

your story reminds me of something i saw along a country road. i rounded a curve and in front of me was a large group of turkey buzzards on the ground. knowing they wouldn't land until it was time to eat, i looked into the nearby field and saw a heifer down. but the amazing part was all the other cows had formed a protective circle around her, facing out, keeping the birds off.

the animal world is amazing. they have lives that we can only guess at.

sorry for your loss.

7. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss but one thing for sure she is at the rainbow bridge playing now. Animals knows when something is wrong. They are very smart.

8. crowinghen

crowinghen Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for your loss. It reminds me of the story about the lady in Tennessee that has the elephant rescue, and two elephants that hadn't seen each other for YEARs were re-united.it was so obvious that they recognized each other it was touching.

So sorry ,
    Susie

9. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss but she had a good long life and passed away in her sleep. Wouldn't we all like that.

10. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

ELEPHANT RESCUE? Geez, I won't complain the next time the county wants me to house a donkey. I thought they were the worst.

Thanks eveyrone. I have been expecting this, so we were more relieved than sorrowful - so glad she was warm and cozy in the barn and not out in the snow, maybe falling down and nobody finding her... She's in a good place where goats can jump the fence without being yelled at, and eat the expensive rose bushes.

11. full sun

full sun Well-Known Member

Losing an old one stirs such mixed emotions. It is, afterall, a blessing to live to an old age. When someone, or something is born, grows up, grows old, and dies peacefully, that's the circle of life. It's hard to ask for more than that (okay, can you tell I am a young cancer patient?? In remission...). It's best-case-scenerio! It's what we wish for when we watch anything born (human, dog, goat...)into this world. But at the same time, I find it sobering and even shocking to watch something cycle through and expire. It reminds me of my own mortality. And then, of course, all those years with your friend around, when they go, it's like the end of an era. Plus, it emphasizes how quick the years go....

DocM-- I am sorry for your loss. I do commend you on the good care you've given her. 14 years is impressive!

Jennifer

12. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

DocM, I am really sorry to hear about your loss. It is amazing, how those goats are. I have a doe that will be 15 in March. I am so happy every morning when I hear her call us, before we even get around the corner of the house. I dread the day I don't hear her. She was given to my daughter several years ago, and I love that goat so much. She was the queen and now she is losing her place in the heard. I did not breed her this year, and she is really upset about it. She gave us beautiful twins last year. This year at the State Fair, she still took 3rd, out of 15 goats. She is still Cashmere at that age.
    I hope your goats are doing better.

13. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss. Sounds like she had a wonderful life and a good death.