FUNNY:Children moving to the country

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sandave88, Sep 29, 2005.

1. sandave88

sandave88 Well-Known Member

When I asked my four year old daughter if she would like to have chickens on the farm she replied BREADED!

2. sandave88

sandave88 Well-Known Member

My twelve year old son said I wouldn't use a wooden stove because it is made of wood. Boy am I in store for some funnnnnnnnnn.

3. heather

heather Well-Known Member

I'm sort of there with you -

When I asked my 4 year old what kind of farm animals she wanted when we get settled, she said "a goldfish"
    She is the same child who hates to get wet, dirty or walk barefoot.
    My other girl is 2 & she will be my wet, dirty, barefoot farm girl, I'm sure.
    :)
    [before anybody freaks on me, I'm not saying all farm girls are wet, dirty & barefoot LOL]

4. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

I came home from work one afternoon to find the grandkids planting feathers in the ground. Great Granny told them they could "grow their own chickens". We still laugh about that one.

5. heather

heather Well-Known Member

Now THAT one should win a prize!! LOL

6. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

When we were still "trapped in the city" type folk, my DH and I were having a conversation about our future move to a more rural location. I'm a farm girl, but my DH was born and bred city, as was our then-preschooler. Our son overheard my DH ask me if I knew how to slaughter a pig -- to which I replied in the affirmative. DH didn't believe me, so I began to describe the process to him -- at which my DS began to wail.

Comforting him, I said something to the effect of "Honey, it's all the circle of life... where did you think pork chops come from?" (pork chops being the then and now favorite food).

He looked up at me, still crying and said, "I thought they just caught the piggies, cut off the pork chops, then let the piggies go!"

DH and I still laugh about that, ten years later.

Tracy

7. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

It reminds me of the old story of pig with a peg leg that was tied up outside a farmer's house. When a passerby asked about it the farmer said, "We raised that pig since he was born. He's the family favorite.

The passerby said, "Well how did he get a peg leg?"

The farmer replied, "Well, you don't eat a fine pig like that all at once."

8. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

One afternoon my then 8-9 year old DS came inside and asked me "Mom, do roosters get Rabies?"

9. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

The Granny that said to plant a chicken feather must be related to my Father.

We were visiting him in rural Hutch KS when our youngest Son was probably about 8 years old. My Fathers place is surounded by fields of various crops each year.
    I saw my son lying on the ground watching in the direction of a field. He was being very still. I went out to see what he was doing and I realized he was holding the end of a rope that was going off into the field.
    I ask him what he was up to and he said "be quiet! I am going to catch a rabbit! So I said "how?" He said Grandpa showed me how. I have a carrot tied on the other end of this rope and Grandpa said if I am very still and quiet a rabbit will come up and grab the carrot and I can just pull him in!
    That boy stayed there for a very long time before he finally gave up and went in to complain to Grandpa that it didn't work. Grandpa just told him that the rabbits must be off hunting somewhere else today but just try again next time. He was just sure it would work. Our Son took his rabbit trap home with him to see if he could catch rabbits in the city.
    He is grown now and has a Son of his own. We now live in the country but he has not thought to try that on his own Son yet. His Son is 8 years old now.

10. JBourne76

JBourne76 Bathtub Ninja

I was in the garden fussing my head off because rabbits had partaken of what they must have considered an all you can eat buffet. My daughter, 8 or 10 a the time, said, "How do you know it was rabbits?" I pointed out the rabbit poo on the ground and she said, "Hmm. Do you think we'd get rabbits if we planted them?"

The best thing about this exchange is that she wasn't serious. I was (am!) so proud that she's got such a twisted little mind and can think that quickly. She's 14 now and we still giggle about that.

11. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

I believe the crime rate in the world would be next to zero if every child in America grew up on a farm! (and "had" to spend their time between required chores and playing in the fields, streams, trees, and more!!!!)

12. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

Amen to the chores!!! I had them as a child in the burbs and my kids have them. I think that chores anywhere you live is a valuable tool for raising children. I also think running in the feilds and woods and having animals is something NO child should be without. What creative, responsible, loving, hardworking kids come from this.

13. Auric

Auric Registered Doofus

When my german bride and I returned stateside it was almost Christmastime, and I'd just out-processed from the Army. We went about visiting all the relations, including my favorite "Aunt" and "Uncle", actually cousins, that had their own farm. They have a very nice milking parlor which I always enjoyed visiting during the evening milking. My Uncle proceeded to tell my young wife that his oldest son, Kenny, did a lot of the farm work, including breeding the cows. We all began laughing very hard when her eyes got as big as saucers. Then he asked her if she'd like to watch Kenny breed a cow, which had the rest of us rolling. My wife just stood in shock, with her mouth open! That's a memory we still laugh about, and my Uncle brings it up everytime we get together!!

14. thedonkeyman

thedonkeyman Well-Known Member

A Child ,(notice I said, Child, as "a KID" is a goat) or use to be HUH! A Child should have a PET and what a better PET than a DONKEY, and TWO are better yet.

15. peri_simmons

peri_simmons Well-Known Member

my then 3 year old son, while I was trying to live a natural life style(natural child birth breastfeeding and natural food stores and frugal living) was at the mall with me to see santa. It was a woman and as he sat on her lap and realized it he yelled across the mall "Mom, Santa has nursers" meaning breasts. The entire line of moms and dads just cracked :help: up. :help:

16. mrglock27

mrglock27 Well-Known Member

Auric, I've never laughed so freakin' hard!!

17. pickapeppa

pickapeppa Well-Known Member

Great stories. Thanks for the laughs all. I wish I had one to contribute.