Funny, but dangerous...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by wooly1s, Apr 27, 2006.

1. wooly1s

wooly1s Well-Known Member

I've been home for a week in hover mode with two first-timers that are at 157 today...Everybody is teasing me about being overprotective and not letting "mother nature" do her thing...I bowed out of another appointment yesterday, and still no kids - but Thank God I did...

One of our does was laying on a slope and rolled onto her back (inadvertently.) I was shearing, but keeping my eyes on the girls...I glanced over and saw four feet in the air! Strange kidding position!!! I ran in to the stall and there she was - stuck like a turtle on her back! Funniest thing I ever saw!

I rolled her over and all is well...

2. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

Please keep an eye on her for the rest of the day. I had a doe take a head-over heals tumble, and she ended up bloating. We caught it in time, treated the bloat, and she was back to normal in a few days. Tipping over like that really mixes things up inside. I'd be especially concerned since she is due to kid. Hopefully she'll be just fine.

3. wooly1s

We checked on her through the night. She kidded this afternoon. Twins! The first was huge! I was afraid we were going to lose them all somehow the sac burst on the second twin first, and then we couldn't get mom to open enough to deliver the head of the first. Sometimes "mother nature" needs a doula! Thought we had a head back until I went in a little and felt teeth (BIG RELIEF.) The second was so tiny...everyone is doing well now. One more mama to go!

4. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

Thank goodness she's o.k., and congradulations on the kids!

5. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

CONGRATS on the babies! And glad to hear that the mama is doing good. So, what breed, sex, and color are the babies? CONGRATS again. Bye.

6. wooly1s

Registered American Alpine...buckling and doeling, chamoisee and she is ???Any Alpine experts out there that can tell us what color she is? He is named "Samson" and is enormous, she is Naomi. We don't have accurate weights (we used a pail on the milk scale) but relatively, including wiggles, minus weight for steadying the pail, he was 10 pounds, she was 5...Samson would make a phenomenal buck, but not sure if we can bear to part with him...thinking we'll wether him and train him on a cart! I'll send pictures to the thread if someone can tell me how...

7. MoCrafter

MoCrafter Well-Known Member

Aah! They are so cute. Congrats.
    Winona

8. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

What adorable little Alpines. Congratulations.

9. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

They are adorable. We just love Alpines.

10. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

What beautiful babies! So healthy looking too!

I really want some chamoisee Alpines...next year I may purchase some from a woman I know who has show quality goats...