fun with soup beans!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by trixiwick, May 24, 2006.

1. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

I bought one of those cheap 1-pound bags of mixed soup beans/lentils/split peas and dedicated a small patch to them - and dang if most of 'em aren't coming up! This is awesome; I can't wait to see what they become!

Gardening is fun. :bouncy:

2. Argent Farms

Argent Farms Pig farmer

Haha! I was planting pole beans on sunday and said to my wife , jokingly, " We oughta just plant dried beans from the cupboard!"

Now you have me thinking about it!

3. Dahc

Dahc Don't Tase me, bro!?!

I planted black eyed peas, black beans and lima beans from the store and they did very well. I had more black beans than I cared to eat. I also did hybrid red peppers from the store and did well with them too. I was just happy I still got peppers.

4. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Years ago I planted store bought pinto beans, spaced in rows, and they did very well. You ought to go for it. I believe you'll be rather surprized at how well it turns out.

trixiwick, congrats on the plants. I hope you keep us posted. It does sound like fun. As a matter of fact I just went to the cupboard and got out a package of 16 bean soup mix. I won't be planting all of them but I'll be filling an empty spot in the garden with them.

Did you just scatter the beans or did you space them?

5. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

I spaced 'em and planted them as I would anything else, but didn't at all differentiate between different seeds. So I really have no idea what'll grow, which is kind of fun! Everything that's coming up looks pretty "beany" to me. I'd be really impressed if the lentils sprouted!

6. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

And I bet it was a lot cheaper than those packages of bean seeds.

7. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

i am growing anasazi beans now, if you buy them from the seed sources its about 2.50 per 25 beans, I picked up a pound at the health food store for 2.50

yeah, i buy my growing beans at the store... :)

8. momlaffsalot

momlaffsalot Well-Known Member

oh wow..I'll be raiding the pantry today. I have a bed all ready and was wondering what to put in it...how fun!

9. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

what a great idea. and so much cheaper than buying seeds :)

10. menollyrj

menollyrj Joy Supporter

I planted some black beans from the grocery this year, just for "fun". I didn't even think about buying limas... Maybe next year!

-Joy

11. shawnee

shawnee Well-Known Member

Kidney beans a fave here - and yup, I bought mine from store. Cost me 50 cents for a whole bag....