Fun with chicken poo!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by mammabooh, Apr 12, 2005.

1. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Just thought you might like to hear about the fun I had yesterday afternoon. I decided to work up the top layer of stuff in the chicken run with my little Mantis tiller. I tilled up two or three inches (just until I hit dirt, the top layer was straw, leaves, left-over kitchen scraps, poo, etc.) over the whole area, scooped it up into the wheelbarrow, and put it on the garden. The chickens are happy because they have new stuff to scratch in, and I'm happy because I got goodies for the garden!

How very sad that this excites me.

2. jlxian

jlxian Also known as Jean Supporter

I'm envious! And how weird is that? When you are envious of someone else's supply of chicken poo you know your priorities have shifted.

You will have a great garden!

3. Jeanne Krenning

Jeanne Krenning Well-Known Member

I added chicken manure last summer and had no peppers or tomatoes due to the nitrogen content. On the plus side I had corn (short variety) that was 10ft and purple cabbage like bowling balls. Luckily some things do good after nitrogen poisioning. Honestly I have since learned that chicken manure should be at least aged 1 year and used sparingly. I am skipping it this year..counting on enough left from last year!

4. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

A few minutes ago, I tilled it into a pretty large area and made two raised beds. I probably won't be planting anything there for a month or so...then it will probably be squash. The stuff I got from the chicken run was a high percentage of straw and leaves, so I'm pretty sure the nitrogen percentage will be fine.

I did over fertilize with horse manure one year...that wasn't a good year at all!