Fun Facts

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by haypoint, Feb 8, 2013.

1. haypoint

haypoint Well-Known Member Supporter

I had no idea that 42,000 colonies of honey bees were transported to Michigan from Florida each spring and then back to Florida in the fall. :thumb:

2. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

How you think all those Cherry trees in TC area get pollenated? not to mention all the apple and other fruit trees down the west coast.

My friend lives near Bucannan and brings his bees up from Flordia after the critus, then to maine to do blue berrys then off to california to do almonds. He even keeps a bunch right here in Michigan.

:D Al

3. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

I have a friend who hauls 1800 hives from Maine to Florida every year.

4. indypartridge

indypartridge Well-Known Member Supporter

Talked to some commercial beeks at the Indiana State beekeeping meeting this weekend. Because of heavy losses, there's a shortage of bees for almond pollination. Looks like they'll be short 150,000 colonies. Beekeepers think that with all the money and clout the almond industry has, they'll get the ban on Australian bees dropped and import bees.

5. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

If you check out the various beekeepers listed with the Honey Board for Michigan, you'll find some of them with orange blossom honey as the only one that they have that's not from Michigan.

Martin