Fun and games with health care or why people have a bad attitude towards it.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Beeman, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

In the last quarter of last year we had more dealings with health care than we have had in a while. I had been searching for what everyone would call my regular doctor, why I don't know but everyone seems to think you should have one. I only want well care checkup and someone that believes in preventative medicine, didn't seem like it would be hard to find. After many ask a nurse suggestions and some referrals I decided to try one. I had to make an appointment months in advance because he only sees new patients on one day a week, OK I figure he does this to really be thorough. Then I was sent a packet of papers to fill out ahead of time with warnings that is I showed up without completing all of it I would be sent home without seeing the Dr. I was a good guy and filled every form out with every bit of info including dates of procedures going back to the 60's. When the big day came I showed up early so I wouldn't be sent away for being late. After submitting all of my forms and sitting down to read I was called to the window. I figured it was time for my consultation and examination,wrong. Instead I was informed that they sent the wrong forms to me and I needed to fill out different forms with basically the same info but in different order. there are 4 or 5 Dr.s that work at this office and they all use different forms. OK now I'm getting a little upset but I go back and fill out the new forms. I then get called back to the window after I handed them in because I didn't fill out the part about releasing all of my previous medical records to them. I explained that I've never met this Dr. and that I'd like to see if he's the one for me before I do that. I am then informed that he will not see me without signing this form. I reluctantly sign and I then get called to go back and see the Dr. I almost start laughing when he walks in and he's at least over 50lbs. overweight. He doesn't really listen to anything I have to say and every small item that bothers me he just blows off as no big deal. He does the regular basic physical stuff and you can tell part way through my time is up and he's now rushing to get me out of there. His nurse comes in and finishes up and leaves me with the impression she's coming back with some paperwork for tests. After I sit there for a while she comes back in and asks what I'm still doing there so I go to the desk and pay my co-pay and gather my papers. What a truly miserable experience and not at all what i expected. To top it all I noticed on their computer generated bill I am listed as a female. I wonder if my insurance paid for a pregnancy test?

My wife went to the walk in clinic and got treated very well. The Dr. from the clinic personally called her later that day and gave her the results from the test and told her what to do. The Dr. even called a few days later to see how she was doing. I'm giving up on this "regular doctor" search and I'll use the clinic.

We've had so many crazy things from the health care professional lately I don't have much confidence anymore. Since I'm now listed as female things should be interesting. My wife had some out patient surgery done and we now have a newborn listed on our bill which our insurance now lists as a dependant(I wonder if the IRS will go for it too). She went for follow up tests and was called and told everything is OK, she asked which test was OK, the nurse wasn't sure but it's OK. Weeks later the Dr. calls and it's suddenly not OK so she gets more tests. Goes to the Dr.s office to get the papers for the tests and of course nobody has a clue what tests.
    Health Care is killing me!

2. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

BTDT - I feel your pain - Beeman

Annoying to say the least.

3. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Well-Known Member

BEEMAN

In my opinion, your situation is MORE the 'rule' than it is the 'exception'.

I have a rare "muscle-disease" called "dermatomyositis"..........

DON'T "Sweat It" ! (My "Doctors and their office got rid of my records after 6 years..can't document shucks...." Figure they musta thot I'd succumbed. Hel, I couldn't! I was a single-father with 4 kids.....and workin' "off-the-books".

I've had a "difficult year" (actually2 years).......and they keep "jukeing me"...my fault......I knew I couldn't deal with those people........... BEEN THERE A Long time ago.....made it BEYOND THEIR BULL! 20 years ago........However, had another heart-attack that i couldn't ignore......tried to at 4. AM then about 3. PM got bad again...., but by the time i decided to drive myself to hospital, (and ask a neighbor to take care of stuff), I was ready to have another heartattack. Blood pressure: 189/ 154

My normal blood pressure is 125/80. I'll be 59 years old in 2 days. I think I've had 5 heart attacks. The doctors think I've had 2.

What the Alfalfa?(What the He__?

I've accomplished my obligations!

I'll do as I damned well please.......and MAYBE ACCOMPLISH MORE!.....just for the fun of it!

I'll quit the day I'm bored............
    I've NEVER been BORED!

My hous-water-line is "froze up" . BIG DEAL. It will thaw.
    (I FORGOT to turn on the electric heater where the water comes into the house....(laundry room) MY FAULT" cost me about $50.00 by the time I got it fixed. STILL AIN'T no "re-neck" water runnin'.........BUT, Knowin' I do well,it'll go soon or maybe tomarraw.............Don't matter much..........As that hippie said: (Hippie: John Denver...........) "I'm GLAD I'm a COUNTRY BOY!":

Ha-Ha!
    Bruce (Junkmanme)
    MY New Yews Resolutin" (I never do 'em_}:
    2007 IS gonna be a GREAT YEAR FOR ME!!!!!!!!!! because I'm gonna make it that way!!!)

4. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Although I do maintain my status withe VA regional medical center near my home, I only go to alternative medical practitioners for exactly the reasons you illustrate in your post.

The few times I have gone to the center I have been BOMBARDED by endless questions, none of which pertain to why I am seeking medical treatment. Do I drink? Am I ever depressed? Have I ever had thoughts of suicide? Have you taken any drugs that were not prescribed for you? etc., etc. Not to mention the usual... When was you last mamogram, pap smear, colonoscopy, etc. Why didn't I come in for blood work? (Because I don't want blood work).

Once I was suffering from a low-level anemia which manifiested itself in extreme muscular weakness at high altitudes. The doctor prescribed a diuretic for me. Luckily, the pharmacist was on the ball and recognized the symptoms and told me to up my iron intake, which did the trick. Virtually every time I have gone, the doctor pretty much ignors anything I have to say.

I have had no problems with Chiropractors, Holistic and Naturopatic Practitioners, Acupunturists, Herbalists, etc. Next time I would give one of them a try, if you can find one in your area.

donsgal

5. tlrnnp67

tlrnnp67 Well-Known Member

Get thee to a nurse practitioner. I think you will find your experience pleasant. Most NP practices are focused on preventative medicine but are able to treat current disease processes. They're good listeners and you probably will feel like you are not being rushed through your appoiintment.

Best Regards,
    Tim

6. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Gotta wonder about the worth of a doc who cant tell a boy from a girl. Way you describe rest of exam, sounds like you are just non-descript conveyorbelt grist for the mill for him to make his boat payment....

7. Country Doc

Country Doc Well-Known Member

It should not have happened that way.

Sorry (speaking for doctors). I have learned over the years the most successful doctors are so because of their beside manner, not their skill level.

8. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

They must have stopped teaching that in school. All these offices want is production. I've never been shy and have asked Dr.'s how they are paid, they all are on a salary + system and they're all in these large offices now tied to a hospital or health system. There are no Dr.'s operating on their own anymore and if there are they usually are close to retiremnet and not looking for new patients.

As far as a nurse practitioner goes they too are all employed at these large offices. Same cheerful staff with the same drill. we have used a nurse practitioner in the past when he was at a clinic at the hospital, unfortunately they got swallowed up by the big machine.

We're now up to the stage of sorting thru the bills and getting final notices and having bill collectors use automated callers. When we get a bill or a call we call the insurance company and magically they re submit it and the bill gets paid, but not before I have to endure the stress of all this.

9. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

We have been going on base for years, but having moved out into the boonies, we decided to get a civilian doctor with a medical degree.

I went through our HMO [Tricare] to find a HMO with local coverage [Martin's point] and signed up for it. It took two months, after I paid for a year up front before they finally got me listed. So I had to be briefed, so I drove three hours to their office, where the guy hands me a list of doctors. I have to choose one. I have never met any of them, I do not know their specialties, or anything. So I chose one name at random, the guy told me that he was not allowed to give me any hints.

So both my wife and I went to this doc. She has no idea of how to read a military medical record. Their office took every sheet out of it's clips and they are all in there loose. So each time I have been in her office, she opens my record in her lap and three inches of sheets are sliding around loose. This lady is around 40, an immigrant from Poland, and learning English, and while she seems friendly, she wears a miniskirt and go-go boots [black leather that goes up to her knee, high heals with laces in the front]. This whole office is lost.

This office keeps telling me that they will get my medical records back to me, as soon as they have copied what they need. It has been a year now.

I do not know if I would be better seeing an 18 year old corpsman.

10. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I have a friend that's a veteran. he stayed away from the VA for years because of the rumor/horror stories. He's been self employed and struggled for years paying health insurance until it was finally getting the best of him. A good friend of his that's also a veteran came by one day and took him to the VA. He's never been happier as far as health care goes and they've helped him with many things in his life. He's always pleased and amazed at the attention and care he gets there.