Fuming!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by WolfSoul, Oct 7, 2004.

1. WolfSoul

WolfSoul Well-Known Member

If ya'all have been following my questions re my neighbors goats, you'll know he was letting them graze all over the neighborhood and thought that was perfectly fine. He gets all of his goats at the stockyard. Well, I heard my goats raising cain and look outside to see his big ole Boer buck had come through their fence and was attempting to breed with my registered dairy goats. My minis were in the field also and it was making chaos. To add to this, the thunderstorm was rolling in and buckets of rain were falling. My miniature horses had no shelter out in the pasture, but I couldn't get them to their shed because of the @#$% billy.

Now I know I'm stupid! Why? Because I called the neighbor whose kids were home, a 10 year old farmboy and an 8 year old "princess" who is so spoiled it isn't funny. Anyway, the person who co-owns the goats called the Sheriff, but stupid me, I said no, that'll scare the kids. We had previously locked the gate to prevent these people from trespassing, which they had done 3 times when we were out (they told us so, how dumb is that?)

OK, I really gave it to the co-owner because I said the Sheriff would scare the kids. The boy said he'd come get his Boer billy. Apparently, the little girl called her mother at work crying :waa: because she was home alone for 5 minutes while the boy came to try to help me. Meanwhile my livestock is running around and the horses are trying to get from the pasture to their shed with no luck. The mother called the boy and told him to get in the house and leave the buck in my field.

The parents come home and I hear banging. THEY HAD CUT THE GATE DOWN LOCK AND ALL AND WERE ON MY PROPERTY STRINgING BARBED WIRE AND UPSET WITH ME THAT I HAD THEIR LITTLE GIRL CRYING. They said the buck situation could have waited. Little did they know that D. wanted to call in the big guns.

I told her next time I'd have to call animal control. So now we have a feud going.

How do you deal with local yahoos like this? I don't know how many of my does this buck bred (I was planning on breeding them to a registered Nubian.) Not only that, but this herd is the herd that has signs of diarhea, open sores ... you name it.

Any ideas on how to handle situations like these? I don't want to be fighting with the neighbors but I also don't want my herd contaminated. I also don't know if the minis are going to be alright as they're soaking wet and the temperature is dropping fast!

I should have let the Sheriff come out!!! Do you guys have problems like this???

K

2. Yankee1

Yankee1 Well-Known Member

If a dog was chasing your goats it should of been shot no different for the intruding billy. You have to protect your own!

3. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

I would be fuming!! It is not fair--I would be worried about CL and other diseases carried by ANY animal that roams! You could call the sheriff /animal control and ask that he have his animals tested for diseases..This is not a harmless "escape" this is destroying property and they should be held responsible for any/all damages. :no:

4. geminigoats

geminigoats Well-Known Member

Dag....thats rude and cold. I really have issues with ignornant people, let alone ignorant people who raise goats and don't care. I really feel for you Wolfsong. You could try lutlaysing the does so they won't stick. I'd also call a lawyer and see what rights you have, maybe you can take them to court and make them pay for the damage, the lutlayse if you choose that and any testing you do. Plus the lawyer fees. I'd be documenting everything and taking pics too! Prepare for batlte if it were me! I'd do the SSS method if you get no results, might sound bad, but you may be sparing the poor goats in the long run. Good luck.

Bernice

5. WolfSoul

Excellent idea. I'm going to call and see if they can make him do it. Thank you. K
    PS> Thanks for supporting me on it. I thought maybe I was over reacting!

6. WolfSoul

I'm going to talk to atty tomorrow. What is lutlaysing? I had planned to breed and sell the kids now I don't know what they may be carrying. I feel like I can't win sometimes!!!

7. GentleBen

GentleBen Member

:waa:
    You had quite an afternoon :worship:. The other half, should buy you breakfast and lunch for your outstanding service to all the critters. Its a pitty that those neighbors are so cheap to put up a sorry fence that would allow their billy to walk right on through. :no:

Someone once described these type of people as being "weekend warriors" trying to operate a farm and still operate as a bunch of city dwellers.

8. WolfSoul

I'm definitely worried about CL and if I have them tested, I'm sure this jerk won't offer to pay for it. He even looked at me and said, well you wanted your does bred, didn't ya? IDIOT!

9. geminigoats

geminigoats Well-Known Member

Lutlayse is a hormone drug that will cause the goats to basically abort if they are preganant. You have to go to the vet to get it.

Bernice

10. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

That is a terrible mess to have to witness :( The best neighbor is no neighbor, imo. That said, I would have taken out my rifle and shot the Boer. I can't believe I am saying this now because I've always given animals the benefit of a doubt. Their owners can be of all sorts and out of sorts. But it hit home with me when my neighbor's two pit bulls were chasing my turkeys in my field. Over $200 worth of eggs in those birds not to mention time, feed, and labor. I shot at the ground to scare them off because I knew they belonged to my closest neighbor. Had they not been his, I would have shot them both. They killed one turkey and injured three. And I really don't like turkeys. Had they been in my goat pen- I would have shot to kill. No one messes with my goats. :yeeha: I know my rights in this county and the Sheriff's office would have backed me up completely. Also here in this area there is an unspoken agreement- if it is in my property, it is mine to dispose of or chase off. Get to know your rights and stand firm by them. That's your work and pride those people are toying with.

11. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

You know, after putting up with other people letting their dogs run rampant all over the neighborhood, killing my chickens, goats, etc. over the years, I decided a long time ago. If there is ANY animal on MY property causing damage....THAT IS WHERE HE DIES! Nothing said, no problems, etc... Shot and buried (or take off to the deep woods). If people so stupid that they don't keep their animals put up then they get what they deserve. I would still notify animal control that these people's animals are constantly getting out. They should come on out and file a complaint and check their animals. If there are sores, illness present, etc. there will be a record of it. If you are lucky, maybe they will take them away from the people. This will be beneficial to you in the future should anything similar happen again or legal action become necessary. There is already a problem with the neighbors. The best way to handle it is to handle it. Get the problem fixed. Instead of letting it fester over many months and the feud escalate. Do what you are going to do now and get it over with. Let the authorities get involved so there is a record of it.

12. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

You can still file a complaint with the sheriffs department and animal control. Do it today. Ask them what your rights are , can they make him pay for testing the buck and your herd? also the vet call and meds you will need. Write down everything and go to small claims. Find out what the going rate for pure breds in your area is and go with that price for loss of purbred stock do to his buck breeding your does. Hit the were it hurts the pocket!

13. WolfSoul

They let their goats out again last Saturday. They were eating on my front lawn. I called the Sheriff. The Sheriff called them and told them to get their goats up. Now, they're going around the neighborhood trying to get people made me. Life on the farm "ain't for sissies."

14. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Karen,

I'm sorry you're having these problems, but you're in the right, and they're in the wrong. Period.
    As others have said, document everything. Keep a diary of every encounter. Find out for sure what your legal rights are, and use them.
    I'll keep my fingers crossed that your girls didn't catch anything from the buck.

Meg :)

15. landlord

landlord Well-Known Member

Is a 10 year old boy of age to babysit. Sounds like child endangerment. I think there is a law in some states as to the age of kids mature enough for babysitting.

Just another point to look at. You could have the vet give the goats an abortion shot and bill the owners. Also if the fences are joining boundaries, it is the responsibility of both parties. Boer goats are a larger breed and some fences need to be higher and stronger.

But the neighbors should have him penned up on their property.

16. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

Boy, this situation sets my teeth on edge!!

You do need to discuss with a knowledgeable attorney. The nice thing to do is to tell them every thing you plan to do next time their animals are on your property, so at least they will know. Your attorney might even recommend that. It may not be required, though, so find out your rights if they or their animals are on your property, and be prepared to follow through.

Personally, I wouldn't wait to get the does aborted. There is a window of opportunity for injecting lutelyse, double check with your vet as to the proper timing of the shot(s).

If you have no prior certification as to the health of your herd, you will be hard pressed to prove that his animals have infected yours.

Put your energies into practical solutions...target practice comes to mind. Post no trespassing signs, and insist that the county follow through when you file complaints. Hit in the pocketbook, repeatedly.

Good Luck.

17. WolfSoul

Yeah, but how to deal with the intimidation. The guy drives up to my goat pasture (part of it borders the road even though it's set back a bit) and stops his truck and glares at me and the goats as if he's planning to do something. I don't know these people, but I know they shot the neighbors' dogs last year. Worried in E. TX.

K

18. elly_may

elly_may Well-Known Member

I agree with consulting an attorney. A person sure doesn't need neighbors like those, but unfortunately we cannot pick them.

Here is a wonderful website, Texas University:

http://tarlton.law.utexas.edu/dawson/fence/fnc_menu.htm
    (left column has link to livestock laws, then further is by particular state)

quoted from Texas U:
    The days of the unregulated open range are long gone in most of America. Instead, modern society has a complicated set of laws to regulate the inter-relationship of livestock, people and property. Most states have a statute that defines what is a "legal fence." If a fence complies with the legal requirements, that protects the livestock owner from liability for damage done by a stray cow. Conversely, if the livestock of a neighbor damages crops, the right of the farmer to be compensated may depend upon whether his property was fenced in by a "legal fence." In other words, some states have "fence your livestock in" laws while others have "fence the livestock of others out" laws. Frequently, a single state will have both kinds of laws and make them available on an option basis by local election.

There are also complicated regulations that speak to the question what are the legal rights and duties of the parties when stray livestock are captured by someone other than the owner. Who may keep them, for how long, and with what responsibility for seeking out the true owner? What happens if the owner cannot be found after a reasonable period of time? Can the "taker up" of the stray force the owner to pay for the care of them?

link to Texas livestock law:
    http://tarlton.law.utexas.edu/dawson/fence/tx_fnc.htm

19. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Thats when you drag out the lawn chair kick back and stare back. :eek:
    Doesn't hurt to prop up a shot gun against it like you might intend on using it! :D
    Then again maybe you shouldn't listen to me because im not all there when it comes to matters like this.(or so Ive been told anyway!) Shh I'm just trying to make the other guy think I'm crazy enough to do it! :D
    By the way when the sheriff shows up because he called them saying you where threatening him with a gun.You say no i was in the chair waiting to shoot a fox that had been harassing your animals.Or his goat! Shouldn't make any difference! :D

Just don't point it! And it never hurts to have a witness on your side to say you didn't point it at him or anything like that! His word against yours,if he lies you might end up staying the night in jail. ;)

Like i said you might not want to listen to me.Id have blasted the goat the first time! :D

20. elly_may

elly_may Well-Known Member

My hubby and I do a lot of target practice, rifle and handgun. The neighbors hearing the different type of reports should realize that we know how to shoot and have rifles for different types of predators. I think the closer neighbors realize they need to keep their animals on their own property. I keep a 30/30 with me at all times when doing the chores as we have an occasional stray dog wander by.

If I ever see any predator approach my chickens, cats, or even come close to the goat pens - I take aim. Then 'we' take a walk to the tree line and wait for the turkey buzzards to feast on the carcass.

In Michigan, the sheriff and animal control advocate shooting anything that threatens one's livestock or pets. We have leash and licensing laws (responsible owners adhere, it's the irresponsible ones that make my blood boil).

I would think some plinking with paper or tin cans would be in order - lets your neighbors know that you have a rifle / shotgun that you would be willing to use. Take it with you when you do chores, if your neighbor drives by - just nod and keep on walking.

Like ' insanity' said - just don't point, cuz it's crazy people like your neighbors that will call the cops and have you arrested instead !!!

I usually have my .45 in my hip pocket in plain view. When neighbors stop by to visit, they know we are not to be messed with (they probably think we are just plum crazy - guess we are . . . about the safety of our pets, livestock, and family)