full tit and won't let us milk it

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by spinnDrSandy, Nov 5, 2006.

1. spinnDrSandy

spinnDrSandy Active Member

Thanks for all the good answers I had about weaning our calf. Our cow's tits have pretty well healed since we moved the calf but there is one tit that she
    won't let us milk. Since we took the calf off of her we are having to milk 3 times a day because we are afraid she will get mastitis. What is the result of not milking the one tit? It is as full as a tick and drips but she has a "fit" when we try to touch it. It looks healed with no cuts or marks. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

2. Vere My Sone

Vere My Sone Well-Known Member

What is the result of not milking the one tit?
    mastitis

could be that it is tender now because it is so full
    I'm sure more knowlegable people than me will give their advice
    but, it needs to be milked at least part way to relieve the pressure

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

It may be that she already has mastitis and that is why she has a fit when you touch it. By not milking it, you will give her mastitis in that side or she may possibly dry off over time in that one quarter. Thats not good either because drying that quarter off and milking the others can cause her to become lopsided and lighter in that quarter in the future.
    As much as she doesn't like it, you need to perservere and milk that quarter out. If the milk is off colored, lumpy, bloody, or thick, then you need to treat her for mastitis.

4. arcticow

arcticow Well-Known Member

Check to see if that quarter is hot (fever) or hard. If not, it may have been the calf's favored teat. Either way, get it emptied NOW if you have to use kickers or tie her legs to do it.MHO.

5. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

I would check to see if the quarter is hot. If it's not I would squeeze her between two panels and then milk her out no matter how much she fights it. You may even want to try hobbling her, so she can't fight as much.

Bobg

6. spinnDrSandy

spinnDrSandy Active Member

Will a cow naturally dry up or do you have to do something to make it happen? The calf is off of her and we are having to milk milk her 3 times a day!!!

7. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

the more you milk the more she will make, so by milking her 3 times a day you are incouraging her to make more, if you are wanting to dry her up stop the middle one, then after a few days skip two, then skip 3 milkings and so on till she is dry. keep an eye on her bags.

8. arcticow

arcticow Well-Known Member

And cut out her grain, if you really want her dry.