Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooooo... I'm stumped...

THe fuel sending unit (also the in tank fuel pump) is bad on my 87 YJ...

Someone had removed the return line to the old one and put an in line electric pump in...

Well, that's all fine and dandy, other than you have to rely on gravity to get the fuel to the pump before it can send the fuel to the carb.. As you can imagine, if I'm even a little nose up, I get myself stuck with no fuel..

I really don't want to run a new return line to install an OEM sending unit and pump... The old pump is still in the tank... I believe... It looks like it peeking a look at the top of the tank..

Sooooooo... what would you do?

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there are eclectic fuel pumps that claim to have some suction.

http://www.facet-purolator.com/cube-fuel-pumps.php

page has a chart with all the features and specs to see what would work best for your situation,

If it means any thing John Deere use these as OEM on some of there products,
Way cool.. Thanks.. that was what I was looking for.. dry lift... Not often you see pumps with that, along with a check valve.. exactly what i was looking for and couldn't find..

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
...............On My 85 CJ6 , I mounted the electric pump a little lower than the fuel suction line intake , it really improved the ability of the electric pump to siphon fuel from the tank . The closer you mount the electric pump to the tank , the better it will work . But , you knew that already , wano ! , fordy:coffee:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
remove in tank pump and replace with a piece of hose and a couple of hose clamps. it makes it harder to pump fuel if it has to pull it through a pump.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks ya'll... I'll be doing all of this...

·
"Slick"
2,385 Posts
If you have to get in the tank, why don't you go ahead and replace the in tank pump? Have you priced them at Rock Auto?

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK.. .It's fixed..

As far as why I couldn't go back with the in tank pump, it's because I have a Chevy 350 engine in this, and there's not enough fuel flow from the in tank pumps..

What I found wrong was the new pump I had put on it had a cheap metal fuel filter on it, and it seperated and was sucking air..

I removed the tank and checked the sending unit. It's an after market with no pump on it.. Just a tube with a strainer and the gauge workings.. That's broke though..

I refuse to buy a new sending unit without a pump.. for $20 worth of parts, they want 160... what a rip off..

I put it all back together and put my old Facet Cube pump that was on it originally, only I moved it back to the tank.. I took out the pump I put on it that broke, and replaced it with hose..

The old pump lifts the fuel out of the tank.. Before it was too far away from the tank, so that was the real problem I started out with.

Thanks again everyone.. gave me ideas, and I'm back running again.. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts