Fuel prob on '86 Ford F150

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by willow_girl, Jun 7, 2005.

1. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

OK guys, help me out here! :D

I recently bought a 1986 Ford F-150, 6 cyl fuel injected, to haul stuff around with on the farm. On the drive home, it ran pretty good except for an intermittent stuttering of the engine. Sounded to me like it wasn't getting fuel. Had hubby change the fuel filter, but when he started it up afterwards, it only ran for a couple minutes (VERY rough) then stalled out and refused to start again.

What gives? :confused:

He says he checked the interruptor switch which shuts down the fuel pump in the event of a crash (I thought depressurizing the fuel line might have triggered it, but he says nope.)

Any thoughts?

P.S. I had been meaning to run a can of injector cleaner thru it, as the truck was sold at an estate sale ... I think the previous owner died last year, and chances are, it's been sitting since then. It had a full tank of gas when I bought it ... not sure if it was old and nasty (that's what I thought the problem was, originally, but obviously it's something more serious than that.)

2. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Did he check the fuel filter that is mounted on the frame of the vehicle?

3. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

check to see if the frame mounted type is pointed the right way. They are marked in and out and cant be used backwards. Thats if thats the one he changed

4. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

As indicated, there are two fuel filters on that truck ... changing only one doesn't help a bit.

Once you get the truck running again, fuel injector cleaner certainly won't hurt.

5. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Are there 2, Bob? Chilton's only makes reference to one.

6. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Whoops, sorry! I should have hit "refresh" first ... I only saw the first post!

OK, we have established there are 2 filters. :)

Now I'm not sure which one he changed?

Can you tell me where I might find them so I can check?!

(Hubby is busy this week chopping hay; I thought I'd take a crack at trying to fix the truck if I can!) :D

7. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

Well technically there is three. The fuel sending unit in the tank has a ''sock'' which is basically about as round as the average thumb abd about four inchs long and resembles a wind sock. Master Parts FS1 is the part number. When they get clogged the vehicle will receive little if any fuel.

8. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Oh great! this just gets better and better! :haha:

I assume the tank has to be pulled to get at Filter #3? (yikes)

Where are the other 2?!

9. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Electric fuel pump? If yes then check the electrical connection to the crash shut off switch, usually located under the dash on the passenger side near the brain. Any discoloration? Replace the connector. Had this leave me sitting besides the road a couple of times.

10. Big country

Big country Well-Known Member

You need to know if you are getting adequate fuel pressure to the engine! Unless you know for sure that it’s low you are just guessing, and will be wasting your time and money. Even if the other fuel filter is dirty I would think that it would still have enough fuel pressure to start, since you have already had it running. I would defiantly check and make sure that the new filter was installed properly; it may have a check valve in it that would block flow if installed backwards. Does it have duel tanks? Try starting it on the other tank. You should be able to hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key on (you don’t have to crank the engine to hear the pump run, it will run for 2 seconds when the key is turned on whether you crank the engine or not). If the pump runs you don’t need to worry about the kill switch. But just because the pump runs don’t assume that you have fuel pressure.

I would also check for spark just to be sure that it’s not an ignition problem. I would also pull a spark plug to see if it was wet (flooded)

I would also get the VIN number and have your FORD dealer check for open recalls on this truck, it wont cost you anything and you may get some problems fixed that you didn’t even know that you had.

Paul

11. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

WG check to make sure the fuel pump is coming on when the key is first turned. You should be able to hear it hum to life once you turn the key but it will shut off once the system is pressurized. Have a 86 ford ranger (fuel inj) that I had to hot wire the fuel pump (with a fuse) to get it to run...dang thing could cut out at the most inconvenient times....like when your driving. Now for the filters there is a canister type that is usually bolted up around the drivers side tire...then there is a frame mounted filter housing that is back about mid-span of the drivers side frame and will have a metal plate bolted over it...it will be on the gas tank side of the fuel pump while the other filter will be on the engine side of the fuel pump.

First make sure the fuel pump is being energized....if not get back to us...

12. shovelhead

shovelhead Member

If Your Getting Fuel Out Of The Filter Closest To The Engine, Your Getting Fuel. Check The Coil Wire At Both Ends. A Bad Coil Wire Will Cause Rough Running, Then No Running

13. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

OK guys! You have given me something to go on, for sure! :D

Last night I found out that hubby didn't actually change the fuel filter; he just took the paper element out of the old filter to see if it was clogged. And that's when the truck died. Hmmm.

14. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

Are ya sure that 86 is fuel injected? I have a stock 86 300ci (4.9l) straight 6 which is carburated (feedback carb), although it does look similar to throttle body fuel injection.

My truck acts very much like most carbs of old - i.e. you give it a few shots of the peddle before cold starting and never give it any peddle before warm starting... or you'll flood it.

cheers,