Fuel prices effects

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moopups, Jul 14, 2006.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    So what are you noticing? Our quail feed is a dollar higher yesterday. Food seems to be getting outrageous, cheese for example was under $2.00 per pound a few years back, now its more near $4.00 per pound.

I am worried about small mom & pop business endeavors; I have not been to a bait shop for many months; even fishing is not readily an entertainment anymore. Just cannot afford the fuel it takes.

Whats going to happen when most small company's cannot run because of profit loss? Unemployment, less of a tax base; the goobernment is cutting their own throat. I applaud them. Leadership is a concept from the past.

We keep chickens, quail, turkeys, doves, and rabbits. All can serve as food in the future, and are most likely going to that area. The garden is small and not very productive, soil tests are needed before fall. That alone is the fuel to go get the kit, a return trip to supply the samples, plus the shipping cost of sending the sample to the state university. Just to know what soil amendments are needed. But we like food here, it has to be done.

Purchases of things other than what is needed to maintain what we presently have will be very rare. Watch for headlines stating 'starvation in the cities', you will be rewarded. Collage educations will be worthless, learning to survive will be priceless.

Get a vehicle repainted, no. Go to a tanning salon, no. Patronize a local restaurant, no. If I was starting a business right now it would only be in areas that supply necessities, nothing more. The days of luxuries are past us now, luxury's will be a full belly with no looters in sight.

The depression of the 30's will appear as being a cake walk, compared to whats coming. I expect to see small compounds banning together to survive, we are headed to third world status; maybe not within my life time but in the near future. Teach your children how to raise foods, hunt and fish, defend their selves, there is no one available to bail us out...

2. stars01

stars01 Well-Known Member

I am listening to you and learning, thank you!

3. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Moopups, I love you to pieces, but when you say these things, my irritation level rises.

What you are predicting is a story. Thinking about that story causes stress.

We have absolutely NO way to predict how the developments in the energy situation will play out. Most of the doom and gloom preditions over the years have been as substantial as dandelion fluff.

I prefer to take care of my little part of the universe and not tell myself (and others) negative predictions.

4. JAK

JAK Well-Known Member

Large wind turbines are going up in price also, due to increased demand. I would imagine fuel prices will drive up manufacturing and distribution costs of alternative energy. Perhaps a reason to go small and start early. Also a good reason to buy land I think, and eliminate debt also. There's the catch. :Bawling:

5. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

One lucrative possibility could be providing security to the rich, they're gonna need it.

Rose, if you think that the rapid decline of the middle class and the rise in the numbers of homeless in this country over the past five years is "dandelion fluff" perhaps you have been fortunate enough to escape the realities of the situation. Or maybe it's your rose colored glasses.

6. freegal

freegal Well-Known Member Supporter

Our garbage bill just went up by $2.25, I assume because of the increase in gas prices. Maybe that doesn't sound like a lot, but with everything else going up in cost I was a little unhappy.

7. JAK

JAK Well-Known Member

Speaking of silly government (another thread). Our government is giving us a $200 rebate for high fuel oil prices. At the same time electricity is still cheaper because they have capped its increase and subsidize the price of electricity by funding the power plants. So we still pay for it in taxes at the end of the day, but there is less insentive to make out homes more energy efficient or heat with alternative fuels. So I use one tank of oil, which entitles me to the full rebate, and run a few electric heaters also, and about 1/2 cord of wood. I will eventually add some insulation and get a better wood stove to burn a little more wood, but it's hard to save up with all the taxes.

8. Txsteader

Txsteader Well-Known Member

I still can't get over the price of a loaf of white bread costs $1.00, decent wheat bread costs $2.00.....for a loaf of bread !!

9. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Now ait A minute yesterday At the H E B the price of Wheat bread was 89 cents. and the fuel costs are driving up by the greedy FUture traders in New York City. Another reason to hate that cesspoole.

10. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Except for maybe learning to spell college. lol.

So psychic abilities and crystal-ball reading will be more important? I'm sorry, but when someone states "the future" like it's fact, all I can do is laugh. You sound just like all the Y2K folks did in 1999. :rolleyes:

11. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

You know, I just am totally amazed every time I get hammered for positive thinking. There are some folks on this board that just can't stand it when someone stands up for not being gloom and doom. You'd think I'd learn to keep my mouth shut.

I will be more specific:

A. We bought Howard Ruff's _How to live in the coming bad years_ back in the 70's. Then, we bought gold and silver, stocked up on emergency food, etc etc. His predictions fell on their fanny.

B. A few years ago, we heard all about how the Mexicans were going to march up Highway 59 and invade. They didn't.

C. We heard about all the diseases that were supposed to wipe out half the population and decimate the ecomony. They didn't.

D. We read on other threads about the "decline of the small town," but if you LOOK, there are thriving, wonderful small towns. I know this, I live near one and travel through them frequently.

E. I have faith in the citizens of the United States and their ability to respond to whatever the world economy throws at us.

F. What I don't do is fall for every media-hyped Chicken Little story.

G. We have traveled internationally for business, and I realize that our 'middle class' is so far more wealthy that most of the rest of the world that our whining about it makes us a laughing stock on a global level.

I don't have rose colored glasses, and I resent the personal attack(s.) What I do have is a paid for home, a garden, and a plan. Because we have been working our plan for 30 years, we are farther down the homestead road than a lot of the people on this list, and I get hammered for that, too. We are successful, and we have worked hard to get here.

And some of you don't like that.

12. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

People pretty much see whatever they want to see. Those with negative attitudes and outlooks on life see negativity all around. Those with positive outlooks see positivity all around.

On this issue I'm closer to the middle of the road then I usually am. I know that most of our purchased products are delivered to us by gas fueled transportation. Therefore if the cost of fuel goes up so will are the products we purchase, logic tells me that.

On the positive side, we have been warned about fuel cost, or atleast the cost of producting it for over 30 years, we choose not to listen nor do anything about it, and now we are being forced to think about it. This will likely be a major adjustment in most peoples lives, but it will also be the insentive to change what we use for fuel and how much of it.

The ideas and possiblities for change have already been set into motion, it's even rather exciting to think about whats going to take place next if you choose to have that attitude.

It can be seen as a great lesson on how best to take care for the earth we all share.

Another on the brightside, as homesteaders we are likely a few steps ahead of the game because of our interest in growing our own food, and our entertainment not giving us the need to go somewhere else.

Hugs
    Marlene

13. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Good post Rose. We are not quite debt free, but working on it. I think it may get bad for those that can not rein in their spending, but that is their own choice. A lot of people refuse to give up things that they do not need & then constantly whine about the price of those items. I am not pointing this at anyone here. I am thinking more along the lines of my own family. I have several siblings that blow money like it grows on trees, but then complain that they don't have any. I believe in being prepared also, but I am also not a gloom & doom type. I take time to enjoy each day & not worry about tomorrow. I don't even know if I will be here tomorrow. :)

14. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Good post Rose. I'm also tired of the "gloom and doom" posts, followed by the "race to the bottom" posts where someone is criticized for celebrating an aquisition. You know the posts... one person posts that they just bought a new truck and are so happy about it.. and the next 16 posts criticize them for purchasing the truck. The following 20 posts are from people who bought used cheap trucks and are going to one-up each other on the bargains they got... it is tiresome and boring.

Secretly most of these doom and gloomers are hoping, rather desperately, that their dire predictions come to pass so they can prove themselves in the face of adversity. Which I think says something pretty substantial about living the the 21st Century and the United States.. when you have to manufacture your adversity to test yourself life, no matter where you are on the economic ladder, has to be pretty cushy!

15. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

"....human sacrifice, dogs and cats, living together... mass hysteria!"

16. Dun Coille

Dun Coille Well-Known Member

Heh - I have that as an audio-clip somewhere on one of my computers...

17. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

Rising fuel prices will have to produce an inflationary effect. Energy touches basically everything. Those of us who choose to live more simply and provide a lot of our sustenance through the sweat of our brow will feel it least. We'll probably also lower our weight, blood pressure, and anxiety. To get rid of even more anxiety, I would suggest prayers of thanks and requests for forgiveness. It helps me a lot anyway.

18. stars01

stars01 Well-Known Member

Still learning.....!!

19. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

I've found with most things the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Luckily the US has a huge agriculture system in place that feeds millions. Sure it takes fertilizer and diesel and pesticides to produce, but i don't see oil becoming that scarce for quite some time (10/20/30 years?). l suppose we'll see a move to the dirtiest of fuels (coal) @ some point. So i doubt we'll be going hungry soon.

What i do see, however, is high unemployment, increased crime rates, and higher prices (inflation) due to the increased cost of oil (gasoline). People will have to drive less.

So people like Rose with their millions will be insulated, while others (like me) will have to resort to biking and eating canned corn!! Just kidding! Life wasn't suppose to be easy!

20. frugalville

frugalville Well-Known Member

Granted the gloom and doom posts are not 'uplifting reading'... and the 'pie in the sky' posts kinda make me shake my head too.

Somewhere there is always a middle ground. History normally doesn't repeat itself, but it sure rhymes.

I think if you are a person that 'takes care of themself' you probably will be able to overcome any obstacles thrown in your path. Those 'dependent' on the work of somebody else... will be the ones that may not overcome unforseen obstacles in the future. As far as a crystal ball.. noboby knows for sure, buy here are my entrail predictions...

1) The US govt will continue unabated to destroy the purchasing power of the 'us dollar'. Since 1971, it has lost over 96% of its purchasing power because the govt. can't do what it expects its citizens to do, and that is spend within its means. Every fiat currency in the history of civilization has eventually failed. No exceptions to date. Too much 'digital money' sloshing around the world playing havoc with prices.

2) This will in turn cause turbulance in the US economy. Inflation/Deflation ... stagflation... Nobody knows for sure.. This will mean tough times for alot of people.

3) The wealth effect of the middle class is one largely born of 'credit' not wealth. Most of this 'wealthy' middle class has financed this lifestyle, not paid for it. A majority of households are pretty much upside down if you subtract their liabilities from their assets.

4) More and more businesses are moving production/manufacturing overseas.. that means less high paying jobs here in the US. Capitalism cares nothing of the US worker, it is a pseudo entity that thrives on profit and answers only to shareholders.

5) A successful govt keep the people in a state of fear.. and with just in time media.. we're too scared to go out of the country, talk to the neighbors, go to public schools, ride in an airplane, own livestock, drink anything but bottled water (manufactured by pepsi and coke of course), eat off our kitchen counter, use the same dang toilet scrubbing brush... and so on.

6) Everything stays the same until it changes. The US is now full of overweight, fast food eating, up to their eyeballs in debt, complaining about pushing pencils in air conditioning, 'what about me', welfare cashing, all consuming, gotta have it, give me my remote, gas guzzlin, energy wasting, but I deserve it people.

But is also has the resourceful, no job is too big, I don't need you handout, work til the job is done, penny pinching, house in order, I'll raise my own kids thank you, taking care of business despite what the hell taxes you throw at me people that will get through just about anything just fine. This board is a fine example of people helping people helping people (and not being taxed to to it). We are living in interesting times indeed.

I never underestimate either group. Nothing is set in stone.

If everybody just took the responsibility of taking care of themselves and their family... things would be different indeed.

The glass contains approximately 50% water.