FS: Jersey heifer calf

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by MullersLaneFarm, Jul 24, 2006.

1. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

Full Jersey heifer calf.

Born July 13, 2006 5:00 AM

Still suckling on cow (no bottles yet!)
    Very friendly and curious.

Classic light fawn Jersey coloring with white heart on forehead.

Located in NW IL

$400

Call Paul 815-625-2607

2. MullersLaneFarm

3. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

$400? 3 weeks old? I dont think so. For what? beef? Milk?
    By the time she is bred, had a calf, and ready to milk the owner will have another $600, or $800 in her.
    I can buy a holstien bred heifer who will give 80 lbs of milk per day after she freshens for $1100.
    I just bought a 1200 lb beef cow to butcher for $650, and I bought an angus/holstien cross heifer that is 800 lb and ready to breed for $500.

go scam someone who doesnt know what cattle are worth

4. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Scam???? $400 seems to be a pretty typical price for a purebred jersey bottle heifer. I just did a quick search on this forum and there were half a dozen threads just this year about people having extreme difficulty finding a jersey heifer and $400 was a pretty common price people paid when they finally found one.

Wish I was ready for a heifer! You don't have any shorthorns due to calve do you? That jersey is awfully cute and tempting though. Hope she goes to a good home.

5. cindy04

cindy04 Well-Known Member

I agree w/ Goldenmom. We just purchased 2 registered jerseys (one 5 yrs and fresh and one 16 month open heifer) and spent countless hours over several months doing research via phone and internet . The price is high for Jerseys and they are also very hard to find. We are VERY pleased with the 2 that we bought, and the seller was very honest with us about their gentleness, production, and health. I also spoke to others through web sites like this one who were having the same difficulties as us in finding quility Jerseys.
    I think that the time and effort we put into our search and the $ spent has been well worth it. This calf was advertised as full (reg. ?) Jersey. Even as a grade heifer calf this is a good price.
    I also hope you find a quality home for this calf.

6. yarrow

yarrow Ages Ago Acres Nubians Supporter

Gee michiganfarmer, before you spew about something you OBVIOUSLY know nada about :nono: ..... maybe you should just stick to them there black & white moo moos and let us jersey folks price/buy as we see fit LOL. I personally have spent FAR MORE for a bottle baby jersey heifer then 400. Actually 400 is a very fair price for a tame, sweet baby.
    yarrow (who OWNS jerseys and wouldn't even think to offer her opinion on holsteins)

7. MullersLaneFarm

Sorry you feel this way, Max.

We've had thoughts of keeping her a year and getting her ready for being a family cow. We've successfully reconditioned a few production dairy cows (Jerseys) and raised up a Jersey heifer, had her AI'd and sold her to a wonderful homesteading family.

When the girls leave us they are very docile & used to be handled. They can be haltered led, tied out (they love being tied in the apple orchard!) :) , stanchion broke, hand milked, milked by machine (or in the case of a first time heifer, stanchion broke and used to having their undeveloped udders handled). To keep Cora for a year wouldn't cost us anywhere near $600-$800 to do that and we could sell for an easy $1200. Right now we need a beef steer for the freezer.

Most homesteaders don't want 80# (10 gallons) of milk a day (besides, if she is a bred heifer, how much she will give is all speculative.) Holsteins are a bit more common than Jerseys and is reflected in the price you pay.

Our cow, Dolly, is full blood (not registered) Jersey and the bull is a registered Jersey from (crimeny - "mental" pause - the company starts with an "S" ??)

Dolly has been grass fed for 4 years (with just a handful of grain at milking time). She produces 24-48 lbs (3-6 gallons) a day depending on her lactation period. She milked continuously for 23 months and was still giving 14# a day at the end.

I know folks that would gladly pay more for a 3 week old Jersey, but we feel $400 is a fair price.

8. MullersLaneFarm

Nope (although Paul would go for a milking shorthorn in a heartbeat!)

Thanks for the support you guys. We've had a few inquiries. Paul's the one that makes the final decision about Cora (DD & friend named her. Corazón is Spanish for heart)

9. BUDSMOM

BUDSMOM Well-Known Member

I Think She Is Just Beautiful. She Is Certainly Worth 400.00. Wish I Had A Place For Her-my S/o Would Love Her.

10. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

VERY interested in the animal, but am concerned about the distance. will talk to my husband,

11. Ranchermom

Ranchermom Sam at the Pecan Ranch

Ohhhhh shes a cutie. Thats about right the price for over here in South Texas too, infact I would be looking at maybe another hundred more for a small pure bred jersey calf.

Hope you find her a good home :)

Sam

12. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I sold my pure bred 7 year old tame jersey for $500 when I had to leave to go to Kosovo last year.

13. brierpatch1974

brierpatch1974 Well-Known Member

Cute one.. I wish i was closer to WI if so I would buy her today. And that is a good price.

BP

14. Donna from Mo

Donna from Mo Well-Known Member

Yes, I'd buy her in a heartbeat, if she was within 200 miles of me.

15. MullersLaneFarm

Cora was sold last night to a homesteading family near Springfield. I'm going to be sorry to see her go, she's a real sweet calf.