Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have been getting a lot of shrimp in the waters here lately, and I do love fried shrimp, but that all leaves me with a bit of a quandary. What do I do with the used oil? It seems like a waste to use it once and just dispose. If I was frying a chicken, I would use it a handful of times, but that sounds precarious with shrimp.

So what do y'all think? Any way to purify it and reuse? Can it be used for soap making (I know my wife usually uses olive oil for that)? What about for composting?

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Filter it through a rag and reuse it. Restaurants that use fryalators us the same oil for everything. So do I. Several of my friends dump it after one use and drive me nuts.

Eta
I use part of an old clean tshirt laid in a sieve to filter mine.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I would try to reuse it as much as possible, after you are done offer it for free on craigslist for someone who runs SVO or makes biodiesel. Can also be used in waste oil heaters or burn it in other ways. Also some people use it for bar oil on their chainsaws. Makes a good way to prevent rust on gardening tools etc as well.

Lots of uses.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
As long as you don't get it too hot and scorch it, and filter the crumbs out, it is oil.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, okay. I will try to filter and reuse, but maybe I should still keep separate oils for savories and sweets...even if the potatoes take some of the flavor from the oil. The thought of a shrimp flavored doughnut makes my stomach turn.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Premium Member
15,516 Posts
Okay, okay. I will try to filter and reuse, but maybe I should still keep separate oils for savories and sweets...even if the potatoes take some of the flavor from the oil. The thought of a shrimp flavored doughnut makes my stomach turn.

Thanks for the advice!
We've never had flavor transfer. We filter the oil through a multi-layered cheesecloth mesh strainer.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Oil does denature with repeated heatings, especially if it smokes. It doesn't appear different but studies found it results in unhealthy compounds being created.

However healthy may be a side concern to the deep frying aficionado ;)

Disposing of all that oil is why we don't have a deep fryer. I know some who pour it on grain and feed it to their critters.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Deep fried coated meats/poultry/shellfish, don't seem to flavor the oil and I'd re-use it.
One time not to re-use oil, after frying jalapeno poppers. Ask me how I know. I grew the peppers in the garden. They were much hotter than expected. The french fries after that were intolerably hot. Thank goodness we didn't make donuts.:yuck:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
It has been a while but it seems that frying meat destroys the oil quicker than frying doughnuts. I used to have to change the chicken fryer oil once or twice a week, it was filtered every night, the doughnut fryer twice a week had the oil drained out, the bottom sediment cleaned out and the oil filtered and pumped back in. That oil only got changed every 6 months. Meat fats break the oil down quicker than flour products. As for me, I don't deep fry anything, I say its because it isn't healthy, but the truth is it seems like a waste of oil.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Coffee filters clog too easily. I tried it and it took well over an hour to filter 48 oz. of oil.
Sally, when I rendered tallow, I used my plastic coffee filter holder with a paper filter in it, and if I kept the tallow pretty warm, it didn't take a terribly long time. If I let the tallow come to room temperature, it took a long time. Cheese cloth might be porous enough to filter it more quickly.

·
Registered
725 Posts
When I used to render my own lard I used an unwanted pillowcase of fairly high thread count and it worked great.
"Cheesecloth" is usually too coarse to filter anything - it's pretty useless for any cheese-related tasks as well.
Surprised the coffee filter worked, I would expect it to clog quickly.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
I use a regular sieve with a piece of a clean, old T-shirt, or similar rag.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts