Frustration about hoof trimming

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Nancy_in_GA, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Nancy_in_GA

Nancy_in_GA Well-Known Member

I've read everything I can find on the internet about hoof trimming, but when I trim my goat's hooves, they don't look like the pictures. I THINK I need to shave off some across the bottom, but no pictures ever show how much to take off, and I'm afraid of going too far.

Below is a link to a picture of my goat's hooves taken from the side.

http://home.earthlink.net/~nlyons545/ (hope this works!)

Thumb is right at the hairline. There is a line where the hoof changes from pink above, to brown, below. Do I need to gradually shave off most (or all) of the brown part? Or is that just a dirt stain line that will move up as more is taken off?

Guess my main question is: Should the length (front to back) of the hoof be about equal to the height (hairline to ground), or should the height be less than the length? (Hope that makes sense.)

If someone has some time to take a look at it I'd sure appreciate it.

Nancy

2. elly_may

elly_may Well-Known Member

Hi Nancy,
    From looking at the photo, I would say you have done a fine job. The main objective is that the angle of the bottom hoof edge be at the same angle as the "hairline". So if there are standing on the ground, they would not be tipping toward the "tip toe".

If you have trimmed the hoof flat with the frog (fleshy area) and the tips are not curled around and are at the same edge of the frog you are achieving your goal. Trim the heel area a bit at a time when you see it overlap the frog area. When you see pink wait a few days to a week, then trim a little more. But from the pic it looks like you have done everything ok.

3. Nancy_in_GA

It looks OK from the side, but from the bottom, it looks awful.

I added a picture of the bottom of the hoof to the same link to show what looks bad. Toes are really thin and curved inward (not upward).

I know to shave the middle part out to make the two sides come together, but if I did this right now, then the bottom would be too narrow, and the toes would still be curved inward. I was assuming the first thing is to shave off some, then work on the middle, and then the toes would thicken up and straighten out.

So my question is the height to width ratio, in general.

BTW the goats walk and run fine. Evidently this bothers me more than them.
    Nancy

4. ForMyACDs

ForMyACDs Well-Known Member

Looking at the photo of the bottom of the foot it looks to me like you need to trim off some heel. That little "flap" that sticks out from the heel is causing your doeling to rock back on to her heels a little bit (hence the rounded back of the heel from the side). When they're back on their heels like that it forces their toes apart and then the heel starts growing inward (between the toes) which forces the toes even farther apart..

It looks like if you start from the heel (just a little behind where the "flap" is that you probably have plenty of room to trim off some toe to keep your angle correct. Like elly_may said.....if you do begin to hit pink you can always wait a week or so and trim a little more back off the toe to get a foot level where the heel is.

5. Nancy_in_GA

Thank you so much! This is just what I needed to know. What you say makes sense. Will start working on it in the morning.

-Nancy