Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a good fruitcake recipe? Out of the blue, after nearly 30 years of marriage, husband says he wants a homemade fruitcake for Christmas. I've never made the stuff. I was hoping to lay hands on my grandmother's recipe but no one in the family seems to have it.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
39,805 Posts
  • REALLY GOOD PECAN FRUITCAKE

• ▢ 1 pound pecans
  • ▢ 1 pound dates-pitted and chopped
  • ▢ 1/2 pound candied cherries, (red and geen)
  • ▢ 1/2 pound candied pineapple, (red and green or yellow)
  • ▢ 3/4 cup sugar
  • ▢ 3/4 cup flour
  • ▢ 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • ▢ 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • ▢ 3 eggs
  • ▢ 1 teaspoon vanilla , or 1 tablespoon rum, bourbon, or brandy

• Preheat oven to 250 degrees (that is not a typo-TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY degrees)
  • Place a pan with boiling water in the oven to create steam.
  • Fill the pan as needed during baking.
  • Spray two loaf pans with cooking spray and line with wax paper.
  • Spray wax paper with cooking spray.
  • Chop dates and nuts.
  • Sift dry ingredients over fruit and nuts and mix in.
  • Beat eggs until light, add vanilla and pour over fruit, mixing well. (you will probably need to mix with your hands)
  • Spoon into prepared pans, pressing down gently to remove large air bubbles and spaces.
  • Bake at 250 for 1 hour and 45 minutes.
  • Let cool.

·
newfieannie
9,515 Posts
that's a good one that Alice posted. if you just want a light fruitcake forget the dates, use a few raisins,peel,(i dont like peel. some do) ground almonds,cherries,orange rind,glaze pineapple etc. depends on if he likes a lot of fruit. just throw in a bit of this and that.i use lemon and vanilla flavoring also. for a light cake i use almond. not too much though. almond can be overpowering.

made a dump cake a couple days ago. that turned out to be my best one. used 1/2 cup leftover strawberry jam.(dark cake) i use rum to soak the fruit in sometimes 24 hours. then again depends on what he likes. mom used brandy. i dont like the taste. sometimes i use sherry and rum. you could use fruit juice if he doesn't like spirits.(but it wouldn't keep the same of course)

when everything is cool i soak double layers of cheesecloth in rum and wrap. then wrap in freezer or brown paper and keep in cupboard to age a bit. or not whatever he prefers. at least a week or 2. mom would make hers in summer for xmas. enjoy!!~Georgia

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Use a good pound cake recipe, stuff it full of nuts and dried fruit. I don't like candied peel, so I don't use any, but I will use candied cherries and candied pineapple.

Make it right now. It should have been made a month ago. Wrap it in cheese cloth soaked in brandy or rum. Wrap it in foil and stick it into the fridge to cure. Open the package every now and again to add more brandy or rum.

·
Voice of Reason
52,006 Posts
People really eat those things?

I heard a theory once that only a fixed number of fruitcakes were ever produced, and we have been passing around the same fruitcakes among ourselves as gifts ever since.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
I love all types of fruitcake, but especially dark cake with marzipan icing on top. That's best eaten with a cup of black coffee to cut the sweetness. This year I discovered a quick bread, that uses mincemeat along with some chopped pecans. I reduced the mincement slightly to add cherries and I'm very happy with the results.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Use a good pound cake recipe, stuff it full of nuts and dried fruit. I don't like candied peel, so I don't use any, but I will use candied cherries and candied pineapple.

Make it right now. It should have been made a month ago. Wrap it in cheese cloth soaked in brandy or rum. Wrap it in foil and stick it into the fridge to cure. Open the package every now and again to add more brandy or rum.
Thanks. I do have a very good lemon pound cake recipe. I could leave the lemon out and cram in some fruit and nuts instead. I remember my mom saying that Grandma made her cakes in October.

·
newfieannie
9,515 Posts
that's an idea OW! usually for that part of my fruitcake it's hit or miss. i wasn't going to make anymore this year because of covid we are not sharing but i think i will try that for myself.

i don't know anyone who passes around fruitcake. the ones i know can't get enough and make sure i have one for them every year. i guess with fruitcake you either love it or hate it!

Alida is this a recipe you have for the quick bread or a pk that you bought. i'm always looking for new recipes. ~Georgia

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
that's an idea OW! usually for that part of my fruitcake it's hit or miss. i wasn't going to make anymore this year because of covid we are not sharing but i think i will try that for myself.

i don't know anyone who passes around fruitcake. the ones i know can't get enough and make sure i have one for them every year. i guess with fruitcake you either love it or hate it!

Alida is this a recipe you have for the quick bread or a pk that you bought. i'm always looking for new recipes. ~Georgia
Georgia, here's the recipe which is from the Crisco website. I use Presidents Choice mincemeat, available at NF or Loblaws, mostly because it's easier for me to find and I reduced the amount to 1 3/4 cups, and added halved candied cherries for the last 1/4 cup. I found it has a really good flavour of mincemeat and fruitcake at the same time. Alida

Mincemeat Quick Bread

10m Prep Time
1h Cook Time
12 Yield

Ingredients
  • Baking spray with flour
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/3 cup Crisco® Pure Canola Oil
  • 2 cups Crosse & Blackwell® Mincemeat Filling & Topping
  • OR 2 cups Crosse & Blackwell® Rum & Brandy Mincemeat Filling & Topping
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preparation Directions
STEP ONE
HEAT oven to 350°F. Spray 9x5x3-inch loaf pan with no-stick baking spray.
STEP TWO
MIX egg, oil and mincemeat in large bowl, blending well. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in separate large bowl; add gradually to egg mixture, mixing just until moist. Stir in pecans. Pour into prepared pan.
STEP THREE
BAKE 1 hour. Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes before removing from pan. Cool on wire rack.
Nutritional Information

·
newfieannie
9,515 Posts
Thanks a bunch Alida. have you found any glazed cherries at your no frills? i've asked and they haven't been in and gone. they just haven't got them. same way with Sobeys.

i can get plenty at bulk store of course but that's not on my regular route and we are only supposed to go grocery shopping at one store if possible we are locked down again now for 2 weeks. ~Georgia

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Thanks a bunch Alida. have you found any glazed cherries at your no frills? i've asked and they haven't been in and gone. they just haven't got them. same way with Sobeys.

i can get plenty at bulk store of course but that's not on my regular route and we are only supposed to go grocery shopping at one store if possible we are locked down again now for 2 weeks. ~Georgia
On Monday my area went into lockdown for 28 days so I understand your situation completely. I really don't know about NF, my local store doesn't carry much of a variety of glazed fruit for baking at the best of times. I know that Loblaws does. Bulk Barn is one block away from NF so I just went there and got the cherries, pineapple and glazed ginger for cookies. They had everything in abundance and because I went a couple weeks ago I could serve myself (with lots of precautions).

·
Premium Member
24,824 Posts
People really eat those things?

I heard a theory once that only a fixed number of fruitcakes were ever produced, and we have been passing around the same fruitcakes among ourselves as gifts ever since.
I threw the ones I was given in the trash. Maybe others have too. That would make it necessary for more to be made.

I like an occasional candied cherry, like one or 2 every 5 years. No way I could eat a cake crammed full of them.

My grandma made an awesome chocolate date cake. I have been thinking about making one of those.

·
Registered
11,263 Posts
I remember as a child seeing a dark mincemeat cake/pudding - it held it 's shape - my grandmother would steep in rum or brandy for about a month before Christmas. She'd serve it with Hard Sauce drizzled on top. Nothing like these fruitcakes seen today.

With that said, I went to the store and found some jarred mincemeat (fruit- no meat) and am thumbing through mincemeat recipes online.

Reactions: Alice In TX/MO
1 - 15 of 15 Posts