fruit trees

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by TYLER DURDEN, Jun 8, 2006.

1. TYLER DURDEN

TYLER DURDEN Member

I have a chance to get some friut trees very cheap ,$5 each. they are semi-dwarfs and already 4-5 foot tall.

I am not ready to put them in the area where they will stay.......so my question is, can I leave them as they are (in 10 gal buckets) or should I
    transplant into half 55 gal drums until next year?

I am not worried about the weight of the full drums, and can move the at will.

2. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Just leave them in the containers they are in. Keep the pots in shade with mulch on them and water every day. The tops need to be in sun, but keep the sun off the black plastic pots. They'll keep till next year easily. but you have to water every day. No water on the leaves. Just the soil.

3. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Where did you find them so cheap?

4. TYLER DURDEN

TYLER DURDEN Member

thank you wood........ I am on the way to pick them up now ,getting them from a friend of a friend that got 2 many and does not have the room for them.

5. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

I would probably go ahead and heel them into the soil for the year. Dig a hole at least half as deep as the pots and plant the entire pot. This will give them some additional protection from the heat and drastically cut down on how much you have to water them.

6. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

That's a great idea too Valent. You will find the roots growing out of the drain holes in the spring, making it more difficult to get the pot out. Just take a spade and slide it down the outside of the pots in the spring to cut them off. Another advantage of planting the pots, is that they won't blow over in the wind and dry out even faster. Water, water, water. Not on the leaves though.

7. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

Yep.You can also paint the outside of the pots white,to help them not heat up quite so much.

8. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Gosh! I wish I'd seen this thread before I planted my cherry tree last weekend. Now we're talking about selling, and I am thinking I want to take it with us if we do indeed move. (If we don't wind up in -- gasp! -- an apartment.)

Good info to have anyway, though!

Pony!

9. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

That's how mine stay for a very, very, very long time. I buy on impulse without any room for them...so they stay in the pots until I can figure where they go. I have 2 nanars, a citrus cocktail, and some agapanthus that, well, lets just say, they've seen more than one season in the black pots.

10. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Pony, if you move, dig up that tree and take it with you. Well, if you move relatively soon.