Fruit Trees Fall Planting Question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by oldmanriver, Aug 24, 2004.

1. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Well-Known Member

I always transplant strawberry in the fall and would like to plant some fruit trees has anyone done fall planting? Any good places online to buy fruit trees? Need 6 maybe 8 peach trees and a few more apples. Thanks for the help!

2. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

Stark Brothers is now taking orders for fall deliver of trees. I would just wait and check with one of my local nurseries and buy from them. You'll probably get a bigger and better tree from them.

3. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

My all time favorite is Van Well Nursery in Wenatchee, WA. You can get your trees onyour choice of rootstock and last year price per tree was $13.95 and that included the shipping.

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Fall is a good time to transplant trees. They should be dormat when you do it. Don't neglect to water them well just as if they had leaves. Unless you are getting ample fall rain you should continue watering right up to a hard freeze.

5. raintree nursery online is another mail order. local nurseries are better they will stock trees that suit the area and give you a better description the mail order descriptions are basicly worthless. for aditional information on rootstocks best suited to your area as well as resistance to desease problems in your area you can usually find state ag ed pages on the net now. I don't think most walmarts and homedepots or similar type retailers are very good at adapting to the locale and tend to sell the exact same product in every location. by the time you pay the shipping you will likely come out ahead to go to that local nursery.

6. bergere

bergere Just living Life