fruit tree question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by stumpyacres, May 25, 2005.

1. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

All the little "trees" or offshoots around my trees - should I keep them or cut them?

2. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

What age are your trees? How tall are they? Yes cut any off-shoots from bottom of full leaf to ground. They will prevent your trees from growing taller and fuller. Be sure to seal the cut wound with pruning spray to prevent insect damage. Also be sure to clean up any debri on the ground afterwards so you don't attract insects to your trees.

JR05

3. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

You especially want to cut them off if they are grafted and "offshooting" from below the graft.

4. stumpyacres

they are coming up from the ground around the tree the trees are two years old

5. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

What kind of trees? The large wood on just about everyone of my blueberry bushes died out this year, but I have a ton of new shoots about a foot high now that have came up.

6. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

If your trees are grafted, you need to cut off the suckers (the offshoots you're seeing coming up from the dirt) so the rootstock doesn't overwhelm the fruiting part of the tree.

You can usually see the graft. Look at the trunk of your tree. Toward the base of your trunk, can you see a swollen area that looks kind of like a healed wound? That's the graft.

7. stumpyacres

8. Becky H.

Becky H. Well-Known Member

Frequent shallow watering will encourage tree roots to stay at the surface inviting growth from one of the shallow roots. Avoid this by mulching over the area that has developed new saplings, and water the main tree thoroughly or not at all. Cut off all those saplings, they will not bear fruit.