fruit tree ques/recomendation

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by DW, Jul 6, 2005.

1. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

We are in CO zone 5 but also can get down to minus 35 degrees. Our latest attempt at fruit trees are to go with standard size w/hopes they are a little more tough. (Tried dwarfs but would never make it through the winter) I'm looking for ideas on cherry trees...next year's purchase. Any recomendations? Should we go sweet or sour...maybe both? Thanks!

2. themamahen

themamahen Well-Known Member

i live in idaho zone 4 and people grow bing cherries here- also to ensure your cherries survive (it sounds like zone 4 weather) i would buy plants specifically for zone 4 since your weather in colder in winter than a standard zone 5.

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Watch the rootstock on the cherries you're planting. The rootstock has a huge influence on how vigorous and hardy any fruit tree is. For sweet and sour cherries, Mahaleb and Weiroot 10 handle cold very well, with Mazzard coming in second for sweet cherries. I'd stay away from the Gisella rootstocks - they tend to be better suited to warmer climates.

Any decent nursery should be able to tell you what rootstocks their trees are on.