fruit seeds

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by RebeccaB, Jan 7, 2007.

1. RebeccaB

RebeccaB Well-Known Member

I am new to growing fruit, but I love to eat it! I was wondering if many of you start fruiting plants/trees from seed? Does this work well? Would anyone have some for sale or to give away if you do? I am trying to save money by not buying plants. I do realize it could take longer to get fruit if this is possible. Thanks!

Rebecca

2. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

You could hit freecycle for brambles, strawberries and (maybe) small fruit trees.

3. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Well-Known Member

If you mean woody, shrubby, vine or tree fruit, I don't know what you could start from seed... maybe native persimmon if you like those (I don't, yuck).

You could buy seed for fruit like watermelon, cantaloupe, huckleberries (another yuck for me although some people like them) to have fruit by next summer.

Maybe you could go find a patch of blackberries somewhere and dig a few plants over the winter and plant those? If you know someone who has a fig tree, hardwood cuttings of those root very easily. Blueberries *can* be rooted although it's very difficult. Do you live where rhubarb will grow? Maybe someone has a clump to share.

I would not recommend planting apples, citrus, peaches, etc from seed unless you have a lot of time and space to devote to them, because they most likely will not produce true to type or produce at all. Of all these, citrus is probably the most likely to give you edible fruit. Again, if you have space/time, you could buy fresh--and I mean fresh, not packed in a box--dates with the seed in them, and plant those. They germinate very easily and grow at a decent rate, but they are male/female trees and so you need one of each, and no way to tell which is which until they are several years old.

Maybe ask people where you work, family or friends, take out a cheap ad, etc. to find some starts.

4. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

If you'd like some black raspberry vines, you'd be welcome to come dig some up in the early spring. We have tons here in our woods. You can grow trees from seed (like from peach pits, etc.). Keep in mind, growing fruit trees from seed will take many years before they'll start producing. There is a local school program that sells trees and plants real cheap every year in south Des Moines.

Place an add in Freecycle or whatever it's now called next spring and ask if anyone has any rhubarb and strawberry plants they could share. I did that this spring and got a few responses.

Good luck.

5. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

I've not had any problem with peaches coming true to type when planting seed. That's the way my family has done it for generations. And my apple tree from seed (I sure didn't buy it, in fact I thought it was a cherry when I saw the sapling) produced apples for the very first time this year at the grand old age of 4 years! I don't know how they taste because they were early apples and mushy when they blew off Sunday. But they were good sized apples and very pretty before they got mushy. BTW, the apple tree I bought about 5 years ago just produced fruit the first time this year too. Never bloomed before this either. Grandpa had some pears that come true to seed too, but I didn't plant any here.

Citrus seeds cannot dry before planting. I have a tangerine tree that is now 11 years old. It flowered the first time this year, no fruit though.

6. Michael Kawalek

Michael Kawalek Well-Known Member

Hi Rebecca
    I have successfully sprouted seedlings from apples, peaches, pears, asian pears, persimmons, loquats, almonds, pistachios, and chestnuts. I have also rooted cutting of figs, pomogranates, and grapes. You have to be careful selecting which trees to grow from seed. Apples are the most variable, and the least likely to produce fruit just like the parent. Peaches, especially the variety Elberta, produce seedlings very much like the parent. Danaus's comment about the seed not drying out is very important. Apples, pears, and peaches seem to sprout best when planted right out of the fruit without any drying.

Sprouting seedlings is a good idea, but I think the best use for them is as root stock for grafting known varieties. Here's a pic of a Anjou pear that I grafted onto a one year old pear seedling in a 5 gallon pot.
    [​IMG]
    This little graft is now two years old in the ground and is ready to bear fruit.

Grafted trees are guarrantied to produce fruit just like the parent tree, and will do so faster than the seedling would. Some of my apples were already bearing fruit on one year old grafts still in their 5 gallon pots.
    Good luck,
    Michael

7. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

RebeccaB - check your PM's.