Fruit Orchard Suggestions

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by VALENT, Oct 19, 2006.

1. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

I am very interested in starting my fruit orchard very soon. I am down near Houston, Texas. Please give me any suggestions you care to share. I am planning, at the moment, on peaches, plums, apricots?, apple?, figs, nectarines, pears. Please share your thoughts (and varieties, if you think they would work in my locale.)

2. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

pomegrenates- grew loverly in Galveston

3. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

Satsumas, navel oranges, meyer lemon. I'm south of Baton Rouge, south of I-10 about 50 miles from the coast. Your freezes won't kill the buds but once every 15-20 years.

All of these are very easy to grow and will do exceptionally well. The peaches and apricots may not get quite enough chilling hours.

4. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Persimmons, paw paw's, don't forget the native bushes with fruits. I remember somekind of bushes on my grandparents farm by Bowie,Tx. It was red round berries. No not rasberrys. These were round and the bush was over 6 feet high. They had two or three seeds in them.
    How about nut trees, while your at it? Also I dig a wide hole to put the tree in. And plant things like gourds, smaller mellons, and stake between the trees with a fence off the ground so I can weedeat below it. And I keep the produce on the fence. This way I get two of something and one is not permanent, when I water I water for two!

5. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

6. Mr. Green Jeans

Mr. Green Jeans Well-Known Member

If you can find Satsumas, I would add them. They are great. I would try to find a few different types of citrus.

7. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Wow, thanks for all the input. I have lots of pecan trees that are native here already. I was kind of hesitant on doing any citrus besides Kumquats(which I got last Christmas.) BUT, I think I will be trying a few. My wife wants bananas but I dont like the work of trying to save them from frost. I love pomegranates though they have been hard to find as a tree. Shadowwalker, I like your idea. I may give that a try.

8. rwinsouthla

You'll be pleased with the citrus. We have several people on our road that have them and can NEVER give enough away. After about 5-6 years, you'll get a thousand or more satsumas from each tree. After 10 years, you'll have 1500-2000 satsumas per tree. Same for the lemons and navel oranges. VERY cold resistant, especially in south TX. On top of that, the abundance can be sold for around $5 for 30 fruits, if you don't eat them yourself.

9. Mr. Green Jeans

Mr. Green Jeans Well-Known Member

Valent, have you looked at some of the dwarf banana trees you can get. I have 2 dwarfs here that I keep in large pots. I move them up under the house in the winter, and they do great. They grow a banana between 4 and 6 inches long. The children love them.

10. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

MRGreenJeans, where did you get those? Do they still need so long without frost to produce the fruit?
    RW, I give, I give, I'm gonna get some citrus. Any idea what the variety of those satsumas are? Thanks for all the encouragement.

11. rwinsouthla

:dance: Thanks VALENT. I can tell my boss I have just passed my negotiations test!

Here we get either Brown's select or Owari satsumas. On the lemons, we get Meyer lemons. The orange is Louisiana Navel or Valencia. I have some of all of these and like them all.

12. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

RW, if you need a letter of recommendation, just let me know.
    Thanks for the variety info. I had no ideas on the satsumas, the Meyer lemons seem to be the pick here as well. Oranges, I havent even looked into. Thanks again.

13. txtruelady

txtruelady Active Member

Lemons and limes, plums,pears,dewberries,blueberries,figs,some peaches, some grapes,strawberries and all the others everyone has said. I live about 72 miles northwest of Houston.. Have fun planting..

14. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Well, hello neighbor. Have you been able to produce strawberries?

15. txtruelady

txtruelady Active Member

Yes in the spring we get enough to put up jam and jelly a few pies and of course a strawberry shortcake or 2 :)

16. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Do you know any of the varieties you are using? What kind of spacing on everything? I would sure guess that what works for you would work for me. I cant be more than 20 or 30 miles(as a crow flies) from you.

17. txtruelady

txtruelady Active Member

Sorry I sure don't I mostly buy from my local feed store or garden store. Stawberries can be a little hard to raise. Before planting any of the trees or plants we have all talked about on here check what kind of soil you have and plant things that like that kind of soil. Here I have black gumbo and it's tough to grow on but when I find plants that love it they go to town growing. Plants that don't like it I have to put in soil that they like until they get started then they do pretty well. Have fun trying different things.

18. rwinsouthla

Valent,

I think I can help on the strawberries too. We grow 200 plants every year. We normally get Chandler strawberry plants but this year, the grower didn't have those. Instead I had to settle for 150 Camarosa plants, and 50 Ventana plants. I get mine at our co-op. The Chandlers to me have always produced the biggest and sweetest, juiciest berries. LSU ag center says Camarosa is excellent too. I can't tell. But if you can get Chandlers, you can't go wrong.

I actually planted mine on the 14th of October. They like loose soil with lots of organic matter. I cover mine with black plastic. Right now they have one or two leaves each. By Christmas, they'll have flowers but if we have a frost, they die off. We normally pick the first berries end of January and keep picking until the beginning of June. I've had them as early as Christmas with no frosts before then, and as late as June 15th with a mild start to summer.

Here is a link to the LSU ag center website discussing a trial on varieties. Good luck. http://www.lsuagcenter.com/NR/rdonl.../StrawberryVarietyTrialsHammondSpring2006.pdf

19. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

How do you think these would do up Northwest La.?

20. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

If you dont mind RW, would you give me the quick explanation of how you grow strawberries? And thanks for all the info thus far.
    TXtruelady, do you know any of your fruit varieties?