Fruit fly problem and solution

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by RedneckPete, Sep 25, 2005.

1. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

We had a major fruit fly problem here for a few days. My wife was canning peaches, and as hard as we tried to keep the fruit covered, our house was swarmed with fruit flies.

I finally got so fed up I tried something. I took half an over ripe peach and crushed it up inside a bowl, then sprinkled fly bait over the fruit.

Within 12 hours the fruit fly problem was completely eliminated and the counter where we left the bowl looked like fruit fly genocide.

Pete

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

sounds great!! but what is fly bait??

3. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

fill a cup or bowl of vinigar (apple cider or white)
    a dab of honey, sinks to the bottom
    a drop of dish detergent.

they will land and drown, i keep one going all the time and the fruit flys go crazy
    for it.

randy

4. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

Marvella Golden Marlin is a fly bait, you sprinkle it on a towel placed on a barrell in the barn> Flies eat it and die by the thousands. It can be purchased at Tractor Supply. A TSC will open 4 miles from my farm in Jan. Jay

5. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

The trap concept, while seemingly effective at killing scads of fruit flies, has done little to solve the real problem. Any kind trap with any attractant or toxicant only captures the flying insects. The eggs and larvae are somewhere else and life is still going on.

To truly solve the problem requires finding the breeding site. This may not be as easy as putting a bowl of poison next to your canning operation, but it is safer and far more effective.

If they continue to show up dead around the bowl of poison, breeding is still occurring. Typical breeding sites could be subtle spills of fruity stuff. Like a lime that rolled behind the refrigerator, or some fruit drink the baby spilled that got missed, accumulation in the garbage disposal, even debris in the sink.

Good luck