Fruit and Nut trees

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by second_noah, Jan 18, 2005.

1. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

I am thinking about planting some hazelnut trees this year.

How long do nut trees take to mature into producing? Do I need to be wary of frost threats?

I am kinda new to this, so I will be reading some books on the subject, but I just wanted to throw it out to ya'll as well.

2. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

In general grafted nut trees will start to bear in 5-7 years. If you get seedlings you have to wait 15-20. Get the Grafted trees. Much more expensive, but well worth it.

3. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

NOah will it be cold enough if you're in NC? I enjoy them here in England- and harvested a few dozen nuts last fall two years after planting two grafted trees- and saw them in Germany and Sweden but I think they won't flourish in Texas etc had never expected I could grow them in the American South. More cherry tree areas. Creasy's EL says "filberts do poorly in high summer heat... choose a northern cold exposure..[to avoid premature bloom]" 95% US filberts/hazelnuts produced in WA/OR.

4. kathrynlmv

kathrynlmv Well-Known Member

My only suggestion to you is this....beware of the squirrels..don't plant your trees near the house....or where your house would be jumping ground between trees...we had lotsa walnuts near our house...and the squirrels became a terrible problem in the attic....they just thought our house would be the best place for them to center in on the nuts, I guess......kathrynlmv

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Make sure you get blight-resistant cultivars. The Eastern hazelnut was slammed by the blight some years ago, and they don't do well here in NC if they aren't resistant.

That said, I planted 10 of them last year. I don't plan on trimming them into tree form, but will let them hedge into a screen. I planted them in a long row to do this. Now, they said full sun, and I was a bit concerned because the end of the row is in part shade. Well, you guessed it...the shaded ones grew the best!

However, they all grew, and I had catkins this first year. I doubt I'll get nuts, but that was a good sign.

Oh, yeah...the Japanese beetles think they're better than grapes!

Good Luck!

Meg