Frugal computer time tips

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jnap31, May 3, 2006.

1. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I had to stretch to make this fit here but I guess frugality fits in homesteading so here it goes, I discovered a few months ago that I could open up multiple windows on HT by downsizing the site and then going to interent explorer again.That has allowed me to stay on top of everything also you have to go back and forth on th epage to mak ethe new posts appear sorry my computer time is up so I cant make this more clear.Hope this helps someone

2. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

Or you can just use Firefox and open multiple tabs.

3. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

You can right click on any link and that will open it in a new window. I run multiple windows like that so a new one is loading up while I'm reading another.

4. zookeeper16

zookeeper16 Karaoke Queen

5. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

Just be careful to not open parallel windows on the Internet.

Things will fall out.

6. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Or to open windows within windows as this creates dark holes which are nul vortexes which suck all the information off your hard drive and sends it out into cyberspace.

7. Garden Ear

Garden Ear A-Maize-ing

What will happen if you open another window from within the mirror side?

8. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

Tab browsing with Firefox is my way to go. It is SO superior to Outlook Express (IMO) that I only open OE if a given web page is not compatible with Firefox (and I curse the page designer).

I often have twenty tabs open in each of several different windows (it must be near a hundred at times??). The only limitation seems to be my ability to keep track of what I am doing and why -- and remember where I saved stuff.

Another real time saver for me is to compose EVERYTHING in Word and use the “cut and paste” function to move it to wherever it is needed. That makes available automatic spell check and also the ability to move parts within a document easily and quickly. And, it allows me to keep a record, as a Word document, of what went where.

Composing in Word also saves time and aggravation by frequently and automatically saving what is written. Web page “glitches” make little difference because I can’t “lose data” as would be possible if I were typing directly on the page. If it "goes away" for any reason I simply copy and paste again.

9. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

LOL I am learning even more from this thread thanks all

10. Garden Ear

Garden Ear A-Maize-ing

You can save time online by right-clicking the threads that interest you, and then clicking "Save target as" which will save the thread on your hard drive. It takes a scant couple of seconds to save entire threads, and then you can read them at your leisure while off line. For those with dial-up ISP's, this is a real 'time' saver if you don't want to tie up the phone.